Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Honey Stove Review (2009 Version)

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Thanks for dropping back and letting us know what you thought of it Ken, glad to hear you like it, I still carry it in my Rucksack 90% of the time.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

good video ashley , I just stick to my hobo only prob is that it doesnt got to peices like the honey

Well after the 8 items trip I ordered meself one of these puppies and have been getting all impatient about firing it up. Finally got to use it down the beach, oddly enough, this weekend. Collected the tinder and fuel on the way to the beach and boiled me a brew while the kids and dogs looked for treasure. I totally, absolutely, 100% love it. Fantastic bit o kit

Honey stove beach by roadkillphil, on Flickr

'Ansum
    Last edited by Roadkillphil; 01-11-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: rubbish photo!
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Well gents, after reading through the comments on this one again I think you have made my mind up. I have been a bit undecided as i also liked the look of the Evernew Ultralight Titanium DX Stand http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/pr....asp?PageID=99 but a few doubts such as the very small size and how awkward it looks trying to feed the fuel in when you watch the demo vid means that a Honey Stove is on my christmas list. Thanks for your thoughts on the stove, its probably stopped me from another bad purchase

thought id do an update on my experience with the honey stove,ive had mine a year now,used it all last summer as i said in my previous post in this thread with my highlander meths stove sitting in the circular hole in the plate provided and using wood for cooking,was really impressed with it and its a permanent piece of kit now
    i tried using the 4 sided config and discovered that my highlander meths stove just slides through,had to use pegs to let it sit on(i keep 2 peg's in the honey stove pouch now) plus ive noticed that my HL meths stove can slip through the hole in the plate now
    don't know why this is,it was a perfect snug fit all last year,just thought i'd clear this up from what i said in my last post in case anyone gets a HL meths burner and it falls through after what i said

other than that its been brilliant,used it with the pegs down low close to the plate and used a hexi block to boil water in my 100mm billy,i could have moved the base plate up if i was using a pan or billy wider than the stove but it was just easier to use the pegs for my billy

ive been out twice this week,one night got to camp and as soon as i started to set up it started to bucket it down and the wind got gradually worse and worse,i had expected some rain so i packed an extra tarp (2.7m x 3.5m) and was i happy i packed that,it was the worst night ive been out in ages i got completely soaked from my thighs down to my ankles and couldn't get anything dry to light between the wind and wet even split feather sticks were gettin blown out,it was dark by now and my head torch was starting to flicker from the soaking it got while i was settin up my hammock and tarps and then i thought to light a little fire in the honey stove as the wind was comin in all directions and it lit nicely and when i had some decent sticks lit i transferred what was in the honey stove onto the ground i had prepared for my fire and finally got a decent fire going and got dry

its definitely the best bit of kit i have and has so many applications,it saved me a lot of hassle the other night for sure and I've been looking at the new version and might either buy it or just the separate pieces I'm missing that are in the new version as their sold separately,the new meths stove holder might fit my HL stove and others if the hole is smaller ! will have to look into it
    definitely worth the money

ken

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Thanks for posting an update Ken, glad to hear you still like it. It definitely shows that it's quite versatile and can help people in different ways.

Wow they do a Titanium one now for £75 was that the new one you were talking about? Or you were you talking about the Hive expansion kit?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Wow they do a Titanium one now for £75 was that the new one you were talking about? Or you were you talking about the Hive expansion kit?
    hi ash i was talking about the 2012 stainless steel honey stove,here it is on backpacking light LINK
    if you look on the right of the page they sell the the separate pieces like the new meths burner holder a grill and a base plate for the 4 sided config and theirs the 2012 expansion kit too,you can just buy the extra pieces for the pre 2012 version theirs a vid of it all at the bottom,you probably know this i just wasnt clear about which version i was talkin about

the titanium one is very very tempting tho,i have to stop thinking about that now lol

peace ken