Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Honey Stove Review (2009 Version)

It might be I haven't used mine yet, so I have the first warp to happen which might tighten everything up. Hoping I am going to get time to use it tomorrow, only in the back garden but better then nothing
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

You will find that the warping does tighten it up a lot - mine is quite warped after a couple of years use cooking and having mini campfires in it to keep warm while camping with friends and sitting out at night having a drink or ten.

I have to push the tounges on the baseplate into place now but does make it sturdy. Dont forget that if your using the white box or similar you could get a tiny bit more rigidity by threading a couple of tent pegs throught the "holes" at the end of the slits. Also works well as a small impromptu grill of sorts.

Have you had a chance to tryout the hive yet Ashley?? Had my eye on that since they came out but not bought one yet (along with the fold out grill)

I

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gemgenie View Post
    ...Have you had a chance to tryout the hive yet Ashley?? Had my eye on that since they came out but not bought one yet (along with the fold out grill)..
    Yeah I've used the hive 2-3 times so far, I showed myself using it (cooking sausages) in the review I did, have you not watched the video in the first post of this thread?

... It's good, was a little mifted that it doesn't come with it's own new larger size grill on top, but you can use other things (as mentioned in the video).

It gives you a larger size to work with so you can get bigger coals etc.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Alone in the Wilderness
    Interesting review fodd for thought.

...at the end of the day, it's still each to their own preference. Mine is a cheapo hobo stove and alcohol burner inside just in case, but I also carry a kettle (was Kelly 1pt, now M-Kettle), so there's additional weight. Works for me but I've never tried the HS. Keep up the reviews though Ashley. Like I said....kit...gimme, gimme, gimme!

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

I too had a 2009 honeystove for xmas. For 2 weeks, I just staredimpatiently at it. I finally got round to trying it out on the weekend, and I was really chuffed with it.
    I only used it as a woodburning stove, but I boiled my trangia kettle twice, and cooked a full tea on it, then breakfast the next morning.
    Great review Ashley, and looking forward to you posting more configurations with the stove.
    Here's a couple of pics:

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Doesn't that fire just look hansome? Great to hear you enjoying using it and thanks for sharing your shots.

I will do an update with using it with some Meths stoves sometime.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    This really is a lovely bit of kit. Like Jakob says, if I hadn't just parted with a sum, equal to the GDP of Wales, on the Bushbuddy, I may also be tempted.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi Resnikov, I'm glad you think the same as I do. My Trangia burner ( or a cheap copy as it may well be ) just falls straight through the 4 side config. Very disappointing.

Alba.

got one of these a while back after seening ash's review,i've used it with wood and just to add to the list i used a highlander meths stove and it fits perfect i've heated beans in their tin using the grill piece and a meths burner, would'nt go out without it now,it packs so small you wouldnt notice it in your sack

i find it great in the morning using the meths stove to boil water,no hastle,roll out of bed fill your billy, spark the meths stove and wait and i use wood for cooking and boiling the rest of the time but the meths stove is great with it in the morning

great stove

peace ken