Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Honey Stove Review (2009 Version)

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up The Honey Stove Review (2009 Version)

Honey Stove Supplied by
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Excellent review. If I hadn't just gotten a Bushcooker, I would be all over the Honey Stove.

Nice review, got a honey stove for crimbo, had a go and getting it lit today but no dry tinder, still got 2 inches of snow here. Looking forward to a bimble and brew in the woods with it soon.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

I like the idea of it 'flat-packing' away, but still prefer the 'ready-to-go' DIY type wood burning container that you pack your billy into. Only slightly larger diameter than the billy, which you've got to carry anyway. I know it probably weighs a little more, but methinks that's worth it when you consider setting-up in the dark or having pieces in long grass.

Wayland gives a good demo of his on his site (thanks Gary!):

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/hobo_stove.html

Excellent review Ashley, keep 'em coming!

Steve

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Very good review that Ash..
    Whats with all the erms though.
    I wonder if the warping would become a problem after a time..?

Good review Ashley - The honey stove does look like it does the job well as a proprietary stove and the 'flat-pack' system is clever.

My usual preference is for a 'little money' DIY container type stove but of course not everyone wants to mess around making one.

I am working on a bit of a hybrid hobo stove at the moment that is part 'flat-pack' and part 'adaptable' inspired by the Honey stove and caldera trail and other stoves. If it doesn't get consigned to the scrap metal bin I'll share it.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

I got a Honey stove for Cristmas too, but I have seen them in action quite a bit, it's why it was on the christmas list. It is a extremely versitile cooker being able to use with any type of pot from 58 patern mug or crusader cup, through all the normal billies and titatium pot and MSR stoway pot to a lovely little frying pan I have.

Not only that but it also can be used with loads of different cookers, trangia, hexi, gel cookers which makes it a great pot stand and wind break too. A great design and easily packs away and carries easily as well, hardly notice it my pack.

Great review Ash showing off the wood capabilites of it. I am certainly pleased with mine

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TinkyPete View Post
    ... Not only that but it also can be used with loads of different cookers, trangia, hexi, gel cookers which makes it a great pot stand and wind break too. A great design and easily packs away and carries easily as well, hardly notice it my pack.

Great review Ash showing off the wood capabilites of it. I am certainly pleased with mine
    Just today Scott & I used four side pieces of the honey-stove in conjunction with a Tatonka alcohol burner; it worked absoultely beautifully as if it were made for it, I think there are so many uses to this stove I might have to do a follow-up video to show them off some more.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

I have tried putting it in the 4 side config without a trangia burner in it but it seems a bit loose, does it tighten up when you put the burner in it?
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by resnikov View Post
    I have tried putting it in the 4 side config without a trangia burner in it but it seems a bit loose, does it tighten up when you put the burner in it?
    Tightens up completely with the Tatonka alcohol burner (& I'm guessing the swedish one too) as the outer ring of the burners fits exactly into the slots of the side-panels themselves, so it interlocks all the pieces.

Now with something like a "white box stove" (as I showed briefly in the video-review) that doesn't happen and it is a little loose, but even still that hasn't been an issue for me.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace