Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from biker-bri

Smile Hi from biker-bri

EX biker, EX mountain climber / hillwalker all because of, would you believe VERTIGO!!!! I've had to sell my bmw 850 & give up ridge walking / climbing because I keep falling on my ass
    All this has led to - depresion, are you bored yet, I am I need to excape into the wild, so I intend to combine my remaining 2 hobby's photography & bird / nature watching with bushcraft, I can't think of anything better than waking
    to the sound of birdsong, all I need is the right kit & I will be on my way. Do any of you have any idea's on how to protect a EXPENSIVE 150 - 500mm lens while it,s inside your bacpack I have thought of a piece of wate pipe lined
    with foam but if anybody has had the same problem I would like to know how you managed.
    Gear list :- Boot's n clothes from my hill walking days, 8 X 7 mod nylon basha tarp, thermarest ultralight sleep mat, sweedish army trangia stove, 3 season sleeping bag & 3 basha poles - TIP these have been salvaged from an old my photography tripod which was going to be skiped ( head was broken beyond repair ) & as I prefer to use a monopod anyway I just thought TARP POLES ? I will post photo's later.
    Wanted list :- like a tool I sold my lightweight tent, 60 ltr rucksack & a £160 pair of scarpa boots when the doc told me that my HEAD would not get any better, so what size rucksack do you guy's n gal's recomend for a overnight
    trip, I found that when overnighting on the cairngorms with the 60ltr I carried way to much and that spoiled the enjoyment
    If someone could post a gear list of the essentials I would be greatfull
    Well that's me done for now, if anyone is interested in bird photography ( that's the one's with feathers guy's ) here is a link-http://old-git-biker-bri.blogspot.com/[/URL]
    Regards Brian

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Brian, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. There are loads of threads on kit and what guys carry. As far as the rucksack is concerned, 60 litres is quite a bit but if you're carrying a sleeping bag, tent, thermarest and a load of camera gear then you're not going to have much space.

I carry a 60 litre Osprey Exos rucksack most of the time but I never fill it up.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Brian to the forum good to ave you aboad,Atb..........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS........TONY.

Evenin Brian
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Hi There from me to
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Dont know about bears tony but a red deer wrecked our caravan on the way to fort william !!!!!

Hi Bri!

Lookin' forward to your posts.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Hi Brian! Welcome

Brian. My wife was recently diagnosed with vertigo, got to admit I found it quite funny. Its strange but always associated it with a fear of heights but now realise that its not of course. Must be extremely fustrating for you, thankfully my good lady has been doing as the doctor prescribed and she is over the worst now.

Enjoy the forum, loads of info on here so browse away.

Sounds you have the same problem as me mate (Menieres disease) Fall on yer butt at the turn of yer head .
    Get yerself out there but take it real slow and easy like Im trying to do.
    Welcome to the fourms and hope to hear some good things and see some great pics

Cheers
    AL