Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Condor Bushlore

I have retailed these knives and can say that at best they are a project knife. Fit and finish is hit and miss. The wood handles are VERY rough and the blade is, well dull. I have had extreme difficulty in sharping the blade. The best results were obtained by using 220gr sandpaper and a mouse pad using a stropping motion for the convex edge. Some folks have had good results by re-grinding the blade to a true 0 scandi edge, but only attempt it if you have patience with a good file or are skilled with a belt sander/grinder.
    I can say the best part of this knife is the sheath! Good quality leather with a welt and strong lacing. It's worth better than half the retail price by itself.
    Smoothin it

Another ressurection sorry.
    I was given one of these knives recently and decided to see what could be done with it.
    I have put a full convex edge onto the blade and continued the grind almost right back to the handle leaving a tiny ricasso.I've just come down from the shed so haven't had chance to use or take pictures yet.
    I'll give it some work tomorrow and put up a couple of pictures.

And another resurrection....

Has anybody purchased one of these in last 6 months? As mentioned earlier the original design had flaws which apparently have now been addressed. I purchased one recently (Should have it tomorrow) as I have heard some great reviews on it and at this price its worth the punt considering how much similar looking knifes go for.

Any newer opinions?
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Bought mine about 14 months ago so the answer is No.
    That said, Dave Budd re-profiled mine at the Rv and it now sharpens a lot easier.
    I did a lot of work on the handle with a dozen coats of Tung oil to get it nice.

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Bought mine about 14 months ago so the answer is No.
    That said, Dave Budd re-profiled mine at the Rv and it now sharpens a lot easier.
    I did a lot of work on the handle with a dozen coats of Tung oil to get it nice.

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Thnx, will do
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Quote Originally Posted by ADz View Post
    And another resurrection...

Has anybody purchased one of these in last 6 months? Any newer opinions?
    I have a pair of Condor Bushlore knives, dated 2013... both arrived serviceably sharp, with reasonable fit and finish. (Condor Greenland pattern axe as well, also reasonably sharp.)

Phil

nice kit phil

I have just picked up a 2013 model and am very happy with it so far. It's not perfect, but for about £30.00 you have to expect some corners to be cut during the manufacture. If you get one expecting a high end semi custom knife you will probably be disappointed, but if you take it for what it is, a carbon steel, full tang, wood handle knife with a leather sheath, then you cant go far wrong. I will have to use it for a while before I can be certain, but so far so good and I'm already thinking of getting a mini as a neck knife, so the feeling is good at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_R View Post
    I have a pair of Condor Bushlore knives, dated 2013... both arrived serviceably sharp, with reasonable fit and finish. (Condor Greenland pattern axe as well, also reasonably sharp.)

How's the Greenland axe holding up for you? I've heard mixed reviews on it - some say it's a workhorse, while others conclude that it has too soft a steel.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    How's the Greenland axe holding up for you? I've heard mixed reviews on it - some say it's a workhorse, while others conclude that it has too soft a steel.
    I have no complaints about or problems with the Greenland axe. (Wouldn't mind a bit longer handle... ) My primary use is splitting dry wood, mostly red or white oak (very hard when dry), with occasional cutting of green limbs. I don't make a habit of chopping dry oak... that's why I have a saw. (I use my Greenland axe much the same as a tomahawk.) I don't doubt that some encounter the occasional soft axe, I've seen the edge roll on expensive axes. If the edge rolls, exchange the axe.

Phil