Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spyderco Design Flaw

Was the spalted stabilised? You should never use spalted stuff that isn't due to the nature of spalted wood. It is very weak along the spalting, the wood there has after all been consumed by fungus. I made the same mistake when i first started out.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Ahhh, that makes sense

Some of the older Gerbers where quite good, especially compared to the rubbish they make now.

I don't mind telling people that Steve had some issues with the spalted scales, on the knife I made him. Sadly it isn't the strongest handle material you can get, but at least my tangs don't break

His spalted handles were stabilized I recall, but a couple of his attempts were cut across the grain for a different pattern...... has a thread on here somewhere, the one where he's making a knife for Steve.

@ bigzee, I see how you mean now, I'm glad I don't have any eurocylinders on/in my house And steel filings in the face is a common thing with knife making, also breathing a fair chunk of it in too lol.

@HillBill, I don't harden the tangs really, as it's only the blade that sits in the forge, and consequently the tang never gets to critical temp, or at least 90% of doesn't anyway. I sometimes differentially temper the blades too, so the spine gets softened, but leaving the edge nice and hard.
    And Mike is correct, I vacuum stabilised all the spalted wood, but as he said I x-cut it, and even with the resin in the wood, it's still pretty brittle stuff (almost like a hard plastic). Add to that the holes for the pins/tube, there's a very weak section of material

@Mike, yup, all stabilised (stabilized, in American ), but still a pain in the neck.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    @ bigzee, I see how you mean now, I'm glad I don't have any eurocylinders on/in my house And steel filings in the face is a common thing with knife making, also breathing a fair chunk of it in too lol.
    Black snot, always good fun (although not good for you). I often wear a dust mask, but it's annoying, as well it gets in the way of enjoying my beer while grinding.

lol. I wear safety glasses, but not a dust mask, as they make me sweat and condense up. I do wear a full face visor when I use the handheld grinders and cutters though, which keeps most of the shiny/hot/sparky/smelly stuff off my face
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

When I wear the mask I use a face shield to avoid the fogging, if I'm getting flicked in the face by something I'm not going to breathe in, such as using my jigsaw to rough cut blade blanks, I'll use it without the mask. Past that, I mostly use one of my three pairs of safety glasses, because I often leave the pair I was using somewhere in the house......