Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Design Flaw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spyderco Design Flaw

Here's a picture from another forum, showing the design flaws of a skeleton tang, together with spalted scales. Both of these things are known weak spots in a working knife, but they still sell them as a "bushcraft" knife. I don't think are totally aware of how much work can be asked of a "bushcraft" knife, when out in the woods.

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Yup, I'd call that an extreme fail!

And seeing how bright the brass pins are, I'd say it's not very old either.

Name:  Spydedrco.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  34.6 KB

Look at the uneven, hinge like, break at the two arrows. I have seen quite a few swords break during my WMA/re-enactment days; when a blade breaks like that, it is due to a (mostly tiny) pre existing crack in the metal. This knife was doomed from it's birth.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Name:  Spydedrco.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  34.6 KB

Look at the uneven, hinge like, break at the two arrows. I have seen quite a few swords break during my WMA/re-enactment days; when a blade breaks like that, it is due to a (mostly tiny) pre existing crack in the metal. This knife was doomed from it's birth.
    This break can also be seen on stick tang knives, that have been used for heavy battoning. In those cases, it's where leverage has been applied to the handle, pushing down on the handle, in an attempt to cut faster. Never seen that happen to a full width tang before though, so your explanation seems to be more likely.
    Skeleton tangs aren't the strongest though, plus they must be doing something wrong in the hardening process, to get a crack in the first place.
    Talking of swords though, the makers of the swords in lord of the rings found they were breaking a lot of swords, as the shock transmission fatigued the steel. They overcame this by adding a semi flexible section at the hilt. Bang went their attempts at keeping everything traditional in construction.

Copied from the sales description...

Spyderco’s version of a bushcraft knife, designed in collaboration with ***** ********* and a website called ***********.com. Knives suitable for bushcraft have a blade with a length ranging between 10 and 15 centimetres, and are able withstand heavy use.
    Hmmmmm...really?
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 02-04-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: names removed...sorry

Wow! I've been looking for a new knife lately, after seeing that, I won't even consider the Spyderco (not that I was, but I won't anyway.) I'd rather have a stick tang or full tang any day.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    Wow! I've been looking for a new knife lately, after seeing that, I won't even consider the Spyderco (not that I was, but I won't anyway.) I'd rather have a stick tang or full tang any day.
    Those spydercos are up at £208 at Eden Webshops , so there are plenty of better quality knives out there. for far less.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Those spydercos are up at £208 at Eden Webshops , so there are plenty of better quality knives out there. for far less.
    Holy-mother-of-pearl! That's almost $334.00 (USD)! More than I paid for my first car!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    Holy-mother-of-pearl! That's almost $334.00 (USD)! More than I paid for my first car!
    If I were you, I'd check with CanadianMike, see if he has time to make you a knife. He makes some fantastic blades, and they are very well made. It will be a fair price too.