Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First real post, my bush knife.

First real post, my bush knife.

So, for my first real post, i figured i may as well post my standard carry knife that i use for just about everything. This one is the third knife i made, many many moons ago. It is forged from a tractor mower blade. I'm not sure why i put the bevel on the back of the blade, i believe it was something to do with making a finer point, because its quite a thick blade. Its got a convex grind, with a slight secondary convex bevel in the picture, though thats gone now, was a function of field sharpening with a small axe stone. I handle timber is a pacific rim hardwood called Merbau, and the pins are recycled 4.5mm steel nails. I hope you guys like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Field knife.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	4031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baton splitting field knife.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	4032

Very nice work Kai, looks very useful. Does the back bevel give you any grief when batoning?
    Smoothin it

Nice work, does it cut well?

Very nice

Nice lookin knife
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Cheers guys, the rear bevel isnt sharp, its not great for the batton, but it allows me a bit of a finer point while still having a hefty chunk of steel! I reckon its a good compromise. She cuts well, but she's due for an upgrade. She's been modified quite heavily since i first made her many moons ago, and because she was differentially tempered, the edge is starting to get softer. I reckon i need to pull the handle and re-harden her, then refit her, maybe with some prettier wood! Or just make a new knife! She does the job for now though!

I like the scales as they exist, then I like dark wood handles. I recently recieved some aged Walnut from a collection my grandfather had, very much looking forard to putting some steel to that.
    Smoothin it

Yeah, i really like them too. I'm trying to figure out a way to heat treat the blade without damaging the handle... will be difficult, but i believe i still have some of that timber laying around the place

I had some good success with normalizing a knife I made (three times, then a good heat treat and quench) by wrapping the wood scales with heavy duty aluminum foil, and it darkened the wood near the blade a bit, but overall it worked out quite well and didn't have to rehandle (although I'm tempted to rip the oak scales off it and put on OD micarta)....my replacement Webtex golok, broke the first one, made a GOOD one that won't break (after I heat treated it again because I tempered it too soft at first)!

Got to agree with Amazed, I really like the depth of colour and the "dragons claw" shape to the scales, nice one...