Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-Kettle SAS Version

Thumbs up M-Kettle SAS Version

Remember the comparison I did between the Kelly and the M-Kettle (on this thread here - linky)?

Well there's now an SAS version. It says something for a piece of kit if it becomes standard issue for the Hereford boys.

Not cheap (linky), but the normal M-Kettle's a stonking piece of kit, now that mine's had lots of use and been treated roughly.

Here's more info on the SAS anodised version (linky).

Steve
    Last edited by Fletching; 21-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Hi Mate I couldn't imagine the SAS carrying a lot of stuff around with them well apart from guns and ammo
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casey View Post
    Hi Mate I couldn't imagine the SAS carrying a lot of stuff around with them well apart from guns and ammo
    ...even the 'One Knife Fits All' boys need a quick brew!

Lots of things get attributed to the Hereford Hooligans. You only have to look at ebay to suss that; you know, Camo Jacket, SAS, Paras, Speshule Forces
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Trapper
    I'm not ex special forces but I wouldnt have carried a kettle like that in my kit. You boil water in a mess tin and use hexy as it's smokeless. I did carry a stanley flask though for a quick brew when lighting hexy would have been no good.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

I have one of the new type mkettles and I love it. But I would not even use it on a TA weekend because I do not think it would be sqaddie proof and I would hate to damage it. That not to say that someone who is in the SAS might own one, but i don't think they would issue them as standard kit.

As still fairly new to the bushy end of the camping spectrum and only briefly served in the Salvation Army (until I was drummed out for my lack of piety and unwillingness to learn the tuba) I have absolutely no experience of this type of kettle.

If you good folks will indulge my ignorance, I have a couple of questions.

In what situation would these types of kettle be preferable to say meths burner and a pot?

Are there any/many limitations to their use

What fuel do they use?

And, would you use one in conjunction with a more 'standard' cooking set up or instead of it?

Thanks in advance to anyone happy to assist with my education
    Ansum La

Fletching please forgive me for putting this on your thread..It is a review I did a short while ago on another forum (well a few forums actually).
    I was doing a group buy at the time for Ghillie kettles who make the Mkettle

Heres a link to the review

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hlight=mkettle

But yes it does burn just about anything and you can fit small pots on it as you can see in the review and since doing the review I brought myself a meths burner and that works just as well as any other fuel.

As for anyone who has been in the sally army. I say well done.
    It was nice seeing a truck coming out to give us coffee and sweeties and stuff when I was on tour in Kuwait and Iraq. So I take my hat of to you sir (even though you are ex-sally army)

Quote Originally Posted by sandbag47 View Post
    Fletching please forgive me for putting this on your thread...
    No probs, good review SB!

I think the best thing about the M-Kettle IMHO is the fact it IS the water container as well as being the stove.

Steve

I have a Kelly Kettle and love it the best sqauddie proof thing I ever bought was a Metal Thermos flask we used to shoot them out of the tank exhausts a bit like a mortar they where cool
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses