Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacks Good Companion Tent

Blacks Good Companion Tent

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Blacks Good Companion Tent??? A neighbour mentioned to me that there were a couple of tents in the local charity shop going cheap so i went to have a look. I wasnt sure what sort of tent it was in the shop as its pretty big and not in the original bag but i took a chance as it was only £8. Well after about 1 1/2 hours setting up as i had no clue how to set it up it looks pretty good. So just got it set up in the garden to see how waterproof it is as it's an old canvas tent (not expecting alot) so just have to wait and see. So if anyones got any experience let me know.

Scott

oh well try again

I had one and found that providing you pitched it carefully ie with the entrance facing away from the wind, that it was a good tent

I would put the tent up on a sunny day and reproof the fly sheet
    Last edited by happybonzo; 07-03-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Cool! Take a pic Scott and show us what it's like, is it like the one on the link below your post?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Yea it is the same even the bright orange lol i just couldnt stop myself buying it. It takes up most of my garden.

Banned
    My Mum made one of those, Egyptian cotton. Launette for the tent (shirt material, 100 threads/inch) and Lanelette for the flysheet (slightly coarser and stronger), as I remember. - Tabby weave - one over - one under (the weft and warp) - like denim - but loads finer. Kept us dry for years on our cycle touring holidays, in the UK and Ireland.
    She then made me a smaller wedge shaped tent from it, over thirtyfive years ago. It is "delicate" now but I still use it sometimes.

To be totally contentious; why carry a tarp and bivvy - about same weight - when you can carry a far more versatile tent?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elektricgypsy View Post
    ...To be totally contentious; why carry a tarp and bivvy - about same weight - when you can carry a far more versatile tent?
    YES!!! Another one who's seen the light.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Banned
    So just got it set up in the garden to see how waterproof it is as it's an old canvas tent (not expecting alot) so just have to wait and see. So if anyones got any experience let me know.

Scott[/QUOTE]

So; waterproof it and then expect a lot. Hope you have many happy times with this thing. . .

Banned
    Hi, Martin,
    Can see we will be allies round a camp fire . . . on one thing at least! Strength to your elbow (etc.).

Martin, I've been keeping quiet about it but i have been thinking the same since i got into this whole bushcraft thing. I will now come out of the closet,a light weight tent is (in my mind) far more preferable. I own 2 bivy shelters that i use when out fishing( tfg xshell and a fox easy dome)and i know hat i would rather have when its pouring down and blowing a gale.