Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drowning - a short article

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drowning - a short article

I picked this up from UK Campsites this morning. I'll freely admit that I glanced at the other posts first and then realised the article was probably worth reading.
    It certainly is and I recommend that you take just a few minutes to do so as you might save some one's life

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
    Last edited by happybonzo; 08-03-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Very sobering to read...

Wanderer
    Thanks for posting, a very useful article and it may save a life.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    That was fascinating. Watch the video as well, it demonstrates the point perfectly.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Blimey! Thanks for that,thats the sort of thing that will hopfully stick in my mind. Paul

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    I picked this up from UK Campsites this morning. I'll freely admit that I glanced at the other posts first and then realised the article was probably worth reading.
    It certainly is and I recommend that you take just a few minutes to do so as you might save some one's life

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
    Yes, good article... food for thought, thanks happybonzo

It is a funny subject drowning as there are a few different types for example to drown in fresh water is quicker than salt water this is because the fresh water thins the blood and salt water thickens the blood. There is also dry drowning where people for example Scuba Divers have been found with no water in there lungs they basically just gave up living at about 30 to 40 meters.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casey View Post
    It is a funny subject drowning as there are a few different types for example to drown in fresh water is quicker than salt water this is because the fresh water thins the blood and salt water thickens the blood. There is also dry drowning where people for example Scuba Divers have been found with no water in there lungs they basically just gave up living at about 30 to 40 meters.

Salt water and Fresh water drowning good call Ben. Flush, Wet and Dry drowning too. Another one to watch with water related incidents is Rescue Related Collapse or Post Rescue Collapse - due to sudden BP drop when the water pressure is removed (even at shallow depths). More info here http://www.ambulancetechnicianstudy.co.uk/drowning.html

dont forget hypothermia.........

Another interesting fact i was told on my SFRT course was that 75% of the UK population are effective none swimmers..ie they cant swim more than 50 m !!
    Last edited by Silverback; 08-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    [

Excellent

Considering how much time is spent on the beach with the children this is one article that will definately stick in the mind.

Excellent, excellent article and video.

Good reminders.
    Thanks for sharing it.