Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panic - Zombie version

Panic - Zombie version

What would you do if some zombies caused by your local nuclear power plant/toxic chemicals/mad scientist came to your doorstep? Would you grab a shovel? Or are you more of a pitchfork person? Discuss.
    Last edited by Metal mug; 02-01-2011 at 12:54 PM.

I heard that Gurkhas kill their enemys with kukris by taking their head off. i would like to test that theory.

Hmm, i think im a pitchfork person. You can whack and stab.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

definately sword for me as have a few to choose from and dont have any pitchforks in the house

Box of vinyl records for me.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by resnikov View Post
    Shaun of the dead Haha
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by resnikov View Post
    I'm with res on this one, vinyl records and a cricket bat, then off to the winchester. LOL
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Exclamation Surviving a Zombie Attack

Come on boys, get real, this is a zombie attack! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_Men View Post
    I heard that Gurkhas kill their enemys with kukris by taking their head off. i would like to test that theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by troopermaz View Post
    definately sword for me as have a few to choose from and dont have any pitchforks in the house
    ... Everybody knows that's spilling too much blood, you'd be risking the infection of yourself and family.

I would make a NaturalBushcraft video on this, but one has already been done...

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Come on boys, get real, this is a zombie attack! ...

... Everybody knows that's spilling too much blood, you'd be risking the infection of yourself and family.

I would make a NaturalBushcraft video on this, but one has already been done...

I'd like a boomstick.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Some notes on close quarter weapons, courtesy of the zombie survival guide.

1. BLUDGEONS
    When using a blunt weapon, the goal is to crush the brain (remember, the only way to kill a zombie is by destroying its brain). This is not as easy as it sounds. The human skull is one of the hardest, most durable surfaces in nature. So, of course, is the zombie’s. Extreme force is needed to fracture, let alone shatter it. However, this must be done, and done with a single, well-placed blow. Missing your target or failing to breach the bone will leave you with no second chance.
    Sticks, ax handles, and other wooden clubs are good for knocking a zombie out of the way or beating off an individual attack. What they lack is the weight and strength necessary for a lethal strike. A section of lead pipe will work for a single encounter but is too heavy for those on the move. A sledgehammer has the same drawback and also requires practice for its user to hit a moving target. Aluminum bats are light enough to work for one, maybe two fights, but are known to bend after prolonged use. The standard, one-handed carpenter’s hammer has striking power but severely limited reach. Its short handle allows a zombie to grab your arm and pull it in. The police baton, made of acetate plastic (in most cases), is strong enough for any battle but lacks the lethal power for a one-blow kill. (Note: This was intended in its design.)
    The best bludgeon is a steel crowbar. Its relatively lightweight and durable construction makes it ideal for prolonged close combat. Its curved, semi-sharpened edge also allows for a stabbing motion through the eye socket, directly into the brain case. More than one survivor has reported killing zombies in this manner. Another benefit of the crowbar is that it may be necessary to pry open a door, shift a heavy object, or perform other tasks for which it was originally designed. None of these functions can be accomplished with any of the previously mentioned items. Even lighter and more durable than the steel crowbar is the titanium model, now trickling into Western markets from Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.

2. EDGEDWEAPONS
    Blades, in any form, have advantages and disadvantages over bludgeons. Those that have enough strength to split the skull rarely stand up after many repetitions. For this reason, slicing, particularly decapitation, serves almost the same function as a head blow. (Note: The severed head of a zombie is still able to bite and must be regarded as a threat.) The advantage of slicing over bludgeoning is that it can make killing a zombie unnecessary. In some cases, simply chopping off a limb or severing the spine is enough to disable an undead assailant. (Note: Severing a limb also brings the possibility of contact with the virus through the exposed area.)
    The civilian ax can easily crush a zombie’s skull, smashing through bone and brain in one swing. Decapitation is equally easy, which is why the ax has been the favored tool of executioners for centuries. Connecting with a moving head, however, might be difficult. Furthermore, if the swing ends in a total miss, you might be taken off balance.
    The smaller, one-handed hatchet is a good weapon of last resort. If you find yourself cornered, and larger weapons are useless, a hatchet blow will more than take care of an attacker.
    The sword is the ideal edged weapon, but not every kind will suffice. Foils, rapiers, and similar fencing weapons are not suited for slicing. Their only possible use would be a direct stab through the eye socket followed by a quick swirling action through the brain. This motion, however, has been accomplished only once, by a trained swordsman, and is therefore not recommended.
    Single-handed long swords allow you a free hand for other tasks such as opening a door or defending your body with a shield. Their only drawback is the lack of swinging power. One arm may not have the strength to slice through the thick cartilage between bones. Another drawback is its user’s notorious lack of accuracy. Scoring a flesh wound anywhere on the body of a living opponent is one thing. Making an exact, clean chop through the neck is something else altogether.
    Double-handed swords could be considered the best in their class, providing the strength and accuracy for perfect decapitation. Of this type, the Japanese Samurai Katana ranks first. Its weight (three to five pounds) is perfect for long-term conflicts, and its blade can sever the toughest organic fiber.
    In tight quarters, shorter blades hold the advantage. The Roman Gladius is one choice, although combat-ready replicas are hard to find. The Japanese Ninjite boasts a two-handed grip and, in genuine models, renowned tempered steel. Both factors make it a superior weapon. The common machete, because of its size, weight, and availability, is probably your best choice. If possible, find the military type usually sold at Army surplus stores. Its steel tends to be of a higher quality, and its blackened blade helps concealment at night.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.