Thread: Sort of technical....?

Question Sort of technical....?

Can someone please tell me, purely out of interest....
    My wife works at a local sawmill that makes furniture purely for outdoor use, so the wood is kiln dried to about 40% moisture content. This makes it ideal for use outdoors, but it's classed as being 'too green' for indoor use.
    This made me wonder, bearing in mind the wide range of different crafts that come under the banner of 'greenwood crafts' how seasoned can a piece of wood be before it's TOO seasoned to be called green?
    Obviously taking into account the qualities of different woods I'd imagine it's quite a broad answer?
    I've no idea why questions like that bother me, but once I've got a bee in me bonnet so to speak!
    Cheers.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Gary, anything under 15% moisture content should be fine for indoor use. Maybe down as low as 8% in a constantly heated room. Obviously, too much moisture in internal joinery will reduce the strength of the joints as they dry out and may allow boards to crack.

Hope this helps

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Gary,come round the M25 and through the tunnel we not as intense over hear in s/ Essex

Cheers Martin, though by throwing in the % of moisture I suppose I asked the question badly. I was more getting at when you have a piece of wood that you've put aside for a project, how long is it before it becomes a real pain in the A**E to work with?
    And as further ask If I may be so bold.... can anyone suggest any good resources/links as I'm just a beginner when it comes to carving?
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

it is recommended to dry for a year per inch thickness unless kiln dried but it varies from wood to wood and on how it is stored

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi Gary,

I have been a green wood worker for a couple of years now. As you have observed different woods become seasoned at different rates and storage makes a difference to. If kept out of sunlight I find that most woods will stay green enough to work for 2 to 3 months max. Hope this is of some help.