Thread: Bashing around N.Wales

Wanderer

Bashing around N.Wales

Hello i am a new member... please read introducing oneself in forum, anyway i moved to Porthmadog last summer; which as you know is just below Snowdonia. I will be biking around the area this summer. I am looking for any stealth camp opportunities within say a 40 mile radius of Porthmadog. I have done a lot of wilderness camping both through the 1980's and when i was in the forces.

I am starting fresh this summer after a lot of years overseas. I am looking at basher/tarp style of camping as i don't have much money (pensioner). I am going to sell my Brompton folder to pay for equipment, still, i have a brilliant touring bike so it is a start. If anyone has knowledge of this area i would very much appreciate the advice, i will start daily trips out looking for cheap/stealth sites next month at the same time i will make final decisions on kitting out. Thanks to this wonderful site i am already gathering some good ideas, i have been a traveller all my life in many places around the world.

All the best

John

Good on ya John go for it.

Wanderer
    Thanks Tony, just finishing my kit for said travels, been out a couple of times... i think it will be hard going in this area. John (shakya)

Hi John,

You've got one of the most beautiful parts of the UK at your doorstep! I'm quite jealous! Have you looked at the lightweight backpacking sections of the forum?

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Wanderer
    Yes Steve, as i am finding out just had a ride this morning along the Morfa Bychan piece of coast although misty very wild this time of year, lots of dead wood lying around, but difficult to camp. I am nearly ready with all my kit, so i reckon i will be off as soon as the weather breaks, hoping to find some nice spots. I can't wait to put into practice some of the techniques i have picked up on Natural Bushcraft. Although Steve i get the feeling it will be difficult around here, everything seems well nailed down if you get my meaning.

John