Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bright LCD Head Torch??

Super Bright LCD Head Torch??

Hi,

Looking to build up my kit list, Im on the look out for a hammock and Ade has given me a good suggestion! :-)

Now looking for a super bright LCD head torch, I've got one that I picked up at a local petrol station when it was on offer but it's not that bright.

Does anyone recommend a good bright one, I don't mind if it has a small battery pack at the back.

Regards

Dave.

There are loads out there and the Petzl brand have a pretty good reputation. Personally I just use an Enegizer one that I picked up at the supermarket. Its been going for over a year now with all weathers thrown at it and its still going strong. Used it on a night hike in the pouring rain and blasting wind across cliff tops last time out and seriously thought that this would be the end of it but no, it still works. For the price I wouldn't mind if it did go wrong now as I would just go and buy another.

ALPKIT Gamma, great value, White, red and green low power LEDs and a bigger 1 watt LED about 15 quid ish...failing that roll out the big big guns with the LED Lenser H14

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/head-to...en-output.html
    [

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I've got the Alpkit too. The strap on mine is in a cool shade of pink which nobody seems keen to pinch.

I would add that, wherever possible, I try to avoid using my torch as I prefer to let my eyes become accustomed to the lower light levels but sometimes you just can't avoid it. I would recommend finding a torch with a red light as this doesn't affect your night vision so badly although beware of reading a map with the red or green lights as it effectively blocks those colours.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 27-02-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi All!

Thanks for all the replies!

I was out walking the other night and one of the guy's was using a red light and I wondered why but when you say it doesnt affect your night vision as much it makes sense...

Regards

Dave.

Some of these super bright LEDs should come with health advice as shining it in peoples eyes and burning out their retinas as a smack in the gob often offends !

My Alpkit has just died on me I will be buying another one but Ive had it 6 years and its never missed a beat and taken some REAL stick in some really crap conditions
    [

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Hi All!

Thanks for all the replies!

I was out walking the other night and one of the guy's was using a red light and I wondered why but when you say it doesnt affect your night vision as much it makes sense...

Regards

Dave.
    Hey Dave,

The rod cells in your eye are most sensitive to light in the green to red range, are concentrated in the outer edges of the retina and are responsible for night vision. If you've ever walked at night and noticed something flickering across your peripheral vision, only to lose sight of it when you turn and focus your attention on the spot, it's because your peripheral vision is better at night vision.

I did a little research years ago when I built my own ultra-light headlamp, there are a couple of good articles explaining things on Wikipedia: Scotopic Vision, Night Vision (Biological),Rod Cell.

The lamp I built had 3 6000mcd Red (626nm) LED's in one row, and two 6000mcd Yellow LED's below. The yellow were for assistance in reading my map at night without completely washing out my vision. I still have the main circuit, but the headband and battery holders fell apart.

Later!

Josh

I use the petzl e-light. It's not particularly bright but it does it's job well.

It's also go the added benefit of a multifunction light source. It does low/high level white light, flashing white light, red light and flashing red light all at the flick of a switch.

Additionally it weighs bugger all and packs down into a neat little plastic container.

Ade.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    I use the petzl e-light. It's not particularly bright but it does it's job well.

It's also go the added benefit of a multifunction light source. It does low/high level white light, flashing white light, red light and flashing red light all at the flick of a switch.

Additionally it weighs bugger all and packs down into a neat little plastic container.

Ade.
    Amazing bit of kit, I have 2! One that is on my belt at all times and the other in my buoyancy aid for when I take groups coasteering (for working in sea caves).

It is also waterproof to 1m and has an integrated whistle on the tensioner.

As you said Ade, not mega bright, but it is robust, light and does the job.

Cheers

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Some of these super bright LEDs should come with health advice as shining it in peoples eyes and burning out their retinas as a smack in the gob often offends !

My Alpkit has just died on me I will be buying another one but Ive had it 6 years and its never missed a beat and taken some REAL stick in some really crap conditions
    I've just checked the Alpkit gamma site and it appears they are out of stock, but coming back in stock in March this year I think...