Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD Pack - Some Advice Please

DD Pack - Some Advice Please

Hello All.

Just looking on the DD Hammocks website. they have a DD Pack, (includes Hammock, frontline or travel, hammock sleeve, DD Sleeper, Whistle and 30ltr Camo rucksack)...

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/rucksacks/pack-full

Its £99...

Is it worth getting?

Or is the rucksack too small.

should I just get the hammock?

What would u suggest.

I would like to get back into goin camping, espesh with Ashley and scott again, so want to grab some gear bit by bit. just need ideas so can budget,

Thanks Guys....

Karl.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hi Karl, firstly welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum.

Secondly, I bought the DD Pack, with the Travel Hammock and got all the other stuff to go with it. Frankly, the rucksack is a pile of err... canvas pooh. It's too small for a night out and too uncomfortable to carry any distance. The rest of the kit is excellent though but I would advise you to buy it separately, plus a tarp, and get a decent rucksack to put it all in.

The DD Sleeper is the silk sleeping bag liner from memory and this is a good investment as it adds a decent amount of warmth to your sleeping bag and helps to keep it clean as well.

Hope this helps

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi Martin.

Thankyou for the warm welcome... And for the prompt advice...

Yeah i wasnt sure whether the bag would be big enough... but you reckon the other stuff is worth having.

Thanks again Martin.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Certainly Karl. For value for money, you will be hard pressed to beat DD Hammocks gear. Others have fancier materials and more 'features' but for pure 'useability' they have all the bases covered in my opinion.

Sure others will be along to add their thoughts.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi Karl, welcome...

I don't use a hammock so can't help but wanted to say hi anyway...

As Martin says, pretty sure that others in the forum who really know their hammocks will also give you some good advice.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up DD Hammocks - Good Gear

Hi Karl,

I haven't had personal-experience with the DD Bag, but I have a lot of their other equipment. I would personally veer away from the bag. I imagine starting out your probably going to be looking for a rucksack somewhere between 50L-85L.

As for DD's produce; I use and recommend their stuff, they are a brill British company who I know listen to customer feedback and aren't afraid to changes their materials or design to create better stuff, I have seen their stuff improve literally year by year.

As for a bag to start out you might be interested in something like this (or perhaps a little larger)...
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/ki...ck-review.html it's reasonably priced, here's the link to the bag in one of our local stores: http://www.thebunkerwarehouse.co.uk/...l?nb-trooper45
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Hi Paul Thank you for taking the time to welcome me in....

Hi Ashley... i had an idea the pack might be a lil small... i will have a look at the links you have offered... Thank you for the help guys...

Hi Ashley had a look at that Pro Force Trooper 45 Rucksack... looks pretty good, and brilliant value for money....

Stupid question coming up.... with a hammock, tarp, sleeping matt, sleeping bag, clothes, food, utensils etc... will this sack hold enough room...

Thank you

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Wakefield View Post
    Hi Ashley had a look at that Pro Force Trooper 45 Rucksack... looks pretty good, and brilliant value for money....

Stupid question coming up.... with a hammock, tarp, sleeping matt, sleeping bag, clothes, food, utensils etc... will this sack hold enough room...

Thank you
    Depending on your length of stay, food/drink, clothes & bedding can sometimes take up a surprising amount of room! So like I mentioned; you may need something bigger, infact you probably will. Of course it's all relative, if your only going for 1-night, 2 days and strap your roll-mat to the outside you might be fine with a 45L rucksack.

Recently I managed to do 3 days on Dartmoor (and probably could have gone on longer) with the 45L rucksack, saying that it was our "10 item challenge"

It takes a good while to learn about and find the right kit for you, you'll spend ages doing that and then it becomes a process of learning what you can do without, eventually with more and more knowledge you end up packing less and less
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I'd start with the bigger pack like ashley says. However as you get better and gain a bit more knowledge then the pack size comes down. I currently have everything in a 35l mini NI patrol pack, and still have room for a couple of days food and probably a set of 'dry kit' for in the evenings. I would say as a starter pack for one/two nights then 45l is probably the minimum you will need.

You can't go wrong with the DD kit, I've used the basic Hammock for ages with a DD tarp, might upgrade to a travel or frontline later, but I'm happy with the basic hammock and DIY bugnet.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.