Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Underblanket

Homemade Underblanket

Am starting to make my own underblanket for my DD Frontline hammock. So far I have got an old sleeping bag from freecycle. I did this as I want to keep costs to a minimum for now until I am happy with the design and hang. Then I will by a half decent sleeping sleeping bag and repeat the process I am doing on the free one.

The sleeping bag is a mummy style one and has a roudn circle of material about a foot across at the foot end, I have removed this and unpicked the seem from the bottom of the bag to the start of the zip. As this is a prototype I am not going to remove the zip.

I am going to trim about off the top of the bag to make it a more symertical shape then create 2 channels running the length of the bag at either side of it. Then I will use shock cord down these and then attach them to the hammocks ropes with a prussik knot.

Thinking about putting a run of shock cord at each end the bag with toggles on so I can draw the bag in tighter round the hammock if required.

Have ordered the shock cord today so am going to have to wait to try that bit, but I can start sewing the channles in this weekend.

Will keep this thread up to date with how I go with this.

nb: will add pics when I get home and take some
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Look forward to some pics as it progresses

I've had quite a few UBs so if you need any pointers give me a shout, sounds like you've pretty much got it sussed anyway

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    My Janie made herself an underblanket from an old sleeping bag a couple of years ago. It works very well. She did a tutorial on it for her blog.. http://hedgecombers.com/2009/04/04/h...torial-part-1/
    I hope it helps.. )

Funny thats where I got the idea from
    resnikov

My blog & twitter

Still waiting for the shock card to arrive before I can continue with this project I thought about makig my own down underblanket but after the quote i got for down at £20 for 100g and I would proably need about 600 - 800 g think that this idea has priced itself out of the market.
    resnikov

My blog & twitter

Where do you guys buy down btw?

resnikov

My blog & twitter

Shock cord arived yesterday, so all I need now is some time to sit down and cut and sew the prototype. This could be a lot of fun, havent used a sewing machine since high school
    resnikov

My blog & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by resnikov View Post

Thank you for that info. I'm thinking about making a quilt for the summer instead of a sleeping bag and this place might be useful...

My other idea to get down is to buy a sleeping bag of the ebay and cut it up. You might want to have a look on there it might be a cheaper way to get down.
    resnikov

My blog & twitter