Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost walker rescued after GPS batteries fail

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Pretty much my point if I didn't express myself properly, don't rely on them exclusively, have a back up (map and compass)and additional batteries just in case.
    I was agreeing with you Mike, It was me that didnt get my point across. As I said they have their place but shouldnt be relied upon...The amount of technology thats flowing into my other 'hobby' is astounding, not only can we track handlers on GPS mics on VHF there is a system to track the dogs, a new bit of software is having lots of success called SARLOC only works on smartphones but its there.

Having said all that it is a REQUIREMENT in the other 'hobby' that I can navigate to a high standard, anytime, night or day, and in all weathers (and we have) by manual means alone. If I ever get to the stage that I cant do that then its time to resign...
    [

Ah, ok. Me, I'm not a basic guy by far, I have quite a few apps on my Blackberry including GPS (lat/long/compass), as well as Google Maps which is GPS powered as well, but I suspect mostly they are tower based. Still, I know the limits of it, and bought a CF-29 Toughbook and an USP GPS receiver for those times I'm out of cell reception, still looking for an affordable map/GPS peice of software I can use and trust. But, even then, I want a map of anywhere I plan to go, even if just a road map and knowing the section I'm at, and a couple compasses, just in case. Redundancy can be lightweight, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

I like my little GPS device as a handy tool, but prefer a map and compass for those 'life might depend on it' times. Anyway, who doesn't love studying maps!

For me the most interesting thing in the story comes from one of the comments. Once you get past the map and compasses are sooo last century and GPS are the spawn of satan comments there's one which mentions car drivers arriving at a destination using GPS are often disorientated. I wasn't sure at first what the poster was getting at, but it struck me that there's a difference between driving somewhere and being a passenger. As a driver I can easily remember where I've been and how to get back, but as a passenger I've not recorded the same journey if you follow me.

Now, I can't help wondering if there's a similar difference between GPS and map use. With a map I can picture the landscape from the map and know where I am at all times. If the weather closes in the compass comes into play and all is well. With a GPS I feel disconnected and just following another's instructions and less likely to have that complete picture in my mind. It works, but it's not such a comfortable feeling. I hope this makes sense!

Al

Useful links to navigation advice Sorry its UK based only and I cannot find any links from Lowland SAR only Mountain Rescue - however IMHO the same advice applies.

http://www.safeinthehills.org.uk/Navigation.aspx

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/mountain-advice

Interesting article too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/cou...-sat-navs.html
    Last edited by Silverback; 20-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I've got to say I find that quite disturbing. The bit about wardens and rangers being regularly asked for the postcodes of hill/mountain tops for fools to try out a bit of hill walking particularly so.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al21 View Post
    I've got to say I find that quite disturbing. The bit about wardens and rangers being regularly asked for the postcodes of hill/mountain tops for fools to try out a bit of hill walking particularly so.

Al
    Remember the ones that then go up there to guide or even carry them back...every one a volunteer.
    [

Remember the ones that then go up there to guide or even carry them back...every one a volunteer.
    I was.

Maybe I should start a campaign to have these fools dragged to a tattooist parlour where the they can have tattooed across their foreheads 'do not allow to breed!'.

Al

Tribesman
    Useful links to navigation advice Sorry its UK based only and I cannot find any links from Lowland SAR only Mountain Rescue - however IMHO the same advice applies.

http://www.safeinthehills.org.uk/Navigation.aspx

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/mountain-advice

Two good links there Wayne, worth a few minutes of anybody's time.

Interesting article too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/cou...-sat-navs.html
    As for this one, well, sign of modern life maybe
    People want to experience many things, some just don't want to put any preparation in.
    Just spend some money on a device and away they go. You must find it frustrating at times, having to go find them in all weathers.
    But I'm glad you do
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by Al21 View Post
    I was.

Maybe I should start a campaign to have these fools dragged to a tattooist parlour where the they can have tattooed across their foreheads 'do not allow to breed!'.

Al
    Im not that judgemental Al, I have colleagues who arent quite as forgiving

I have never been lost on Kinder, but I have had a few moments where I have been 'Navigationally challenged' it can and does happen ....to anyone. I have even turned an ankle and had to be stretchered off, not an experience I wish to repeat but it does put things in perspective.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    You must find it frustrating at times, having to go find them in all weathers.
    We dont HAVE to. It is a choice, but if we didnt, who would ? Thing is these days we are as likely to end up in York/selby/doncaster/congleton looking for a missing person as we are going up a mountain....
    [