Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What type of Dog

Long nosed, short legged, long tailed terrier for me!

Al

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She cleverer than me and she knows it!

Superb family dog and is the most protective dog I have ever known. I was out with her and my daughter when a drunk guy started shouting across the other side of the street, Casey (the dog) immediately stood infront of my daughter and gave the drunk a birds eye view of teeth and attitude!

Ade.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She cleverer than me and she knows it!

Superb family dog and is the most protective dog I have ever known. I was out with her and my daughter when a drunk guy started shouting across the other side of the street, Casey (the dog) immediately stood infront of my daughter and gave the drunk a birds eye view of teeth and attitude!

Ade.
    A sobering sight
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Bordie Collie obtained free of charge from the local stables as a pup. Sadly died late last year and only six years old. Was being trained to work with my hawk until an attempted theft resulted in the death of the hawk and then change of work and the amount of free time really messed things up. That lovely mutt was loyal, gentle and obedient when it suited him but so protective of the kids, even butting in when play fighting. Good nose as well but damn he smelt bad! Miss that fella, its just not the same coming home and not tripping over him as I walk through the door.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Bordie Collie obtained free of charge from the local stables as a pup. Sadly died late last year and only six years old. Was being trained to work with my hawk until an attempted theft resulted in the death of the hawk and then change of work and the amount of free time really messed things up. That lovely mutt was loyal, gentle and obedient when it suited him but so protective of the kids, even butting in when play fighting. Good nose as well but damn he smelt bad! Miss that fella, its just not the same coming home and not tripping over him as I walk through the door.
    For me, that is the biggest problem with a good dog.so hard when they bow owt.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

We actually have 2 dogs. my collie was bought with the intention of training him to do the work he does, and does very well, although I am biased.

Our other dog is a GSD bitch. She joined the family because I promised my son that when I had sucessfully trained my Collie we would get another dog......however she has turned out to thoroughly enjoy working trials and working to the sleeve so she ended up being trained too !

I agree rossbird, I will be in bits when the time comes for both of them.
    Last edited by Silverback; 13-02-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    [

From what I've heard a border collie is by far the most intelligent breed. Having said that, the most intelligent dog I've personally seen is
    a black lab owned by a hunting buddy of mine. It fetches beer by brand. Years ago we shot a bear and it swam across a pond towing the bear with a rope in
    it's teeth. If I can get a copy of that video I'll post it.
    As I mentioned in another post, a couple beagles belonging to a different hunting camp got torn up bad by a fisher. Got me thinking about exactly
    which breeds of dog can hold their own against wild predators?

I have an Australian Cattle Dog. He works well and he will drive deer towards me. I haven't tried him on Boar yet but have no doubt that he'd manage that
    He's probably one of the strongest dogs I have owned and I've large GSDs and English Bull Terriers (Super Abraxis)
    I've wanted one for 40 years but the circumstances have never been right to own one until now. He works Cattle pretty well but is not so good working sheep.
    Feeding him can be a problem as he eats Floaters and Prawns and will only drink 4X
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Feeding him can be a problem as he eats Floaters and Prawns and will only drink 4X
    Haha

Ansum dogs! I will be waiting for the time to be right too. My terriers are moving out with my wife and my current work wouldn't allow me to afford the time a dog needs. So I'm gonna have to wait till circumstances change and I can give my new dog the time and attention it needs.
    I know it's not totally the same, but having both dogs and kids, I've come to realise that owning a dog carries many of the responsibilities as bringing up kids.

Cheers

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    Haha

Ansum dogs! I will be waiting for the time to be right too. My terriers are moving out with my wife and my current work wouldn't allow me to afford the time a dog needs. So I'm gonna have to wait till circumstances change and I can give my new dog the time and attention it needs.
    I know it's not totally the same, but having both dogs and kids, I've come to realise that owning a dog carries many of the responsibilities as bringing up kids.

Cheers

Phil
    http://australiancattledogsociety.co.uk/

There's some very good, down to earth advice on the website about owning an ACD
    Last edited by happybonzo; 14-02-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: bad link
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/