Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brolly camps, sun loungers and Carp!

Peasant
    great thread im into fishing all types fluff bait kayak sea fresh charter beach, ill have a go at all sorts , going to have a dabble in france this year with some serious carpers , im a bit out of touch with the new methods and rigs , they are so complicated, so im looking forward to learning a stack of new methods ,we are going for a week in august 2012 carnt wait ill tell you. me nephew had a 52 lber last year what a fish that was.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Al21 View Post

Where abouts in Sussex did you fish? Most of my carp and tench fishing was at the Southern Leisure Centre at Chichester.

A 3 1/4lb Perch is a very nice fish, I bet you were chuffed to bits with that!
    That perch, I thought to be a World record at the time Al, I was so excited. I think it was a junior record for the Tonbridge angling club though..

I used to fish a syndicate water in Sussex called Island pond, between Horsham and Crawley most the time, but I have fished most of the waters South of that area.
    There is a tiny stream near the village of Cowfold, which has an amazing amount of fish in it. We used to fight our way through the undergrowth to get to it. We always caught stuff there, inc some good sized trout.

Its nice hearing peoples stories of fishing. I hardly go at all now, and when I do its sea fishing, as I live next to the coast. I do not know much about sea fishing. I tend to just use spinners, plugs n lures etc, hoping to catch me a bass, but I still haven't.
    I do not have too much interest now, in waiting (with all the gear) for the big carp to bite, but I would love to spend a sunny day sat by a quiet pond with light line and a float, maggot on the hook and to see what I could catch..

Aaron.. You can have just as much fun catching small carp on light lines..

Thats a huge carp Gareth.. My biggest went 22 1/2 lb. I got loads and loads of photos, but there are all on prints. I will try do do some scans some time..
    Last edited by JonnyP; 11-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    That perch, I thought to be a World record at the time Al, I was so excited. I think it was a junior record for the Tonbridge angling club though..
    Well done you! Do you know if the record is still yours?

I used to fish a syndicate water in Sussex called Island pond, between Horsham and Crawley most the time, but I have fished most of the waters South of that area.
    There is a tiny stream near the village of Cowfold, which has an amazing amount of fish in it. We used to fight our way through the undergrowth to get to it. We always caught stuff there, inc some good sized trout.
    I've never fished that side of the county, I usually stayed around the gravel pits at Chi.

Not in the same league as Gareth's fish, but here's a rare shot of me with a fish:

I was a lot happier than I look. A hint of brolly camp too!

Like you Jonny, I rarely get the chance to fish now. I've had a York Amalgamation Ticket for the last four years, but have only been three times. I did manage a tiddler bashing sesh last year though. Twenty three little Perch, in an afternoon which made me feel like a kid again.

I bought a lightweight travel fly rod some year a go with the intention of catching things I can eat. It never really came to anything, but I plan to try this again. As I have boats, I also want to get on the sea to catch Mackerel on feathers etc. I used to enjoy this on trips out from LA, (that's Littlehampton, for those not from sussex. ) once I'd learnt how to control my bodies desire to help with the groundbaiting! Fresh caught Mackerel cooked on the beach is glorious, and something everyone who likes the outdoors should try.

You know, this time of year with the cold weather reminds me of the trips I'd make to fish the Rother a Easebourne for Dace and Grayling. Bronze maggots over whites with a quiver tip would get Dace to a pound and Grayling a little bigger if I was lucky. Cold dark early mornings on a TS100 with my kit strapped over me and lashed to the bike. Good stuff!

Al

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Looks like a wildie Al..
    I just been looking online to see if I could find the Tonbridge records, but they don't seem to list them.
    Mackerel fishing is good fun. We normally go out from Looe a few times every year and nearly always catch. I don't eat fish but am happy to help out gutting them on the way back in, feeding the gang of seagulls that gather..

You mention Grayling.. That, along with barbel, are fish I have never caught. I always wanted a barbel. Even a small one would of done, and I would of liked to seen that amazing looking dorsal fin on the grayling too.. I did catch me a weird looking thing called a Ruffe once.. A cross between a perch and a gudgeon, or something like that.

I was once after pike (took me many years to catch one of them) along the river Medway, we used to fish this big wide bit which was known as the Bomb Hole, and it was meant to be good for pike, but I could not lure one. But I did catch this lovely 3 1/2 lb Chub which amazed me.. I had this big three piece plug on and all 3 trebles were hooked up in the chubs mouth. I had to get help from some older anglers up river. After that I caught many more chub on plugs (smaller ones with less hooks). I never even knew they could be caught like that..

I had no idea that Chub would take plugs, but then I've never caught one. Not had Barbel either, though I'd like to try my luck with both!

I love Grayling, truly lovely fish that taste really nice too!

You know, I left Scouts to spend more time fishing, and reckon I learnt more about camping on lake and river banks than I did during the few years I was a Scout. I see thing on the web these days and wish the troop I was with had had leaders with similar ideas and motivation. Ho hum, still, I've caught lots of fish!

Al

That's a great old photo Al...reminds me so much of my early days too.

Its not unusual for chub to be predatory. We even had them on live baited gudgeon on the Thames.
    Only ever had one barbel from the Seine, took two huge boilies, (put out to avoid the chub), was a double figure fish too.

We used to catch loads of ruffe as kids from the grand union canal.

Never really fished waters with grayling, but must be nice to catch them on a fly.

I have gone back to my first love: Tench. One of my small lakes is ramo with them all decent size too. so it's been out with my old Bruce & Walker float rod and a tin of corn. Excellent sport.

cheers
    Gareth

looks like your living the dream out in france thats an amazing brace of fish buddy. i havent ventured across the chanel for carp yet because i dont want to turn up at a fisherie that has every swim taken up with 3 rods 52 weeks a year . do u no of any "wildish" places there to fish that dont see constant pressure all throu the year ? (guess i must b slightly anti social but i like the silence )

Quote Originally Posted by raycea123 View Post
    looks like your living the dream out in france thats an amazing brace of fish buddy. i havent ventured across the chanel for carp yet because i dont want to turn up at a fisherie that has every swim taken up with 3 rods 52 weeks a year . do u no of any "wildish" places there to fish that dont see constant pressure all throu the year ? (guess i must b slightly anti social but i like the silence )
    Although its always been a dream to have a lake of my own, it all happened by accident. I was in France for over 15 years working as a photojournalist in Paris, before the opportunity to buy the lake came up...

We get a fair amount of pressure, but then so do the popular venues in the UK... I only allow a max of 5 anglers per lake, which are just over 6 & just under 8 acres... with 15 swims in all. Everyone has their own water and that I don't get excessive pressure, nothing like that which you mention. you should give it a try... the vino is good too!!!!
    cheers
    Gareth