Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snugpak underquilt from DD

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    Thanks for the comments/ advice and pics shewie, Looks like it made need a bit of improvisation to fit the hennessy but thats what we do isn't it?
    Yes, but you would not to be using paracord on the underblanket in a hennessy, you may be in it for some time lol..

Gareth.. I wish I knew about tarps n hammocks in my carp fishing years. It was pretty much just big umbrellas with wraps or sides back then..

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Yes, but you would not to be using paracord on the underblanket in a hennessy, you may be in it for some time lol..

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post

Gareth.. I wish I knew about tarps n hammocks in my carp fishing years. It was pretty much just big umbrellas with wraps or sides back then..
    Hi Jonny,
    Gosh your carp fishing year!!!!.. makes it seem like a long time ago...

I've been doing it for over 30 years... and must admit most has been under an umbrella, in all its permutations...(remember the Send Marketing Brolly Camp???) or more recently a bivvy, (since Hutchy started marketing them).... (Started off by pinching my mum's sun lounger with orange flower on it as a bed chair.)

I'd have been very grateful to have known about a hammock & tarp before, on lakes that needed a good hike to get to the pegs.

It was Shaun Harrison, a good friend of mine, whom you may have heard of, that gave me the idea. Since, everywhere I can find trees I hang a hammock. Then my bivvy and bed chair stay in the motor.

cheers
    Gareth

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi Jonny,
    Gosh your carp fishing year!!!!.. makes it seem like a long time ago...

I've been doing it for over 30 years... and must admit most has been under an umbrella, in all its permutations...(remember the Send Marketing Brolly Camp???) or more recently a bivvy, (since Hutchy started marketing them).... (Started off by pinching my mum's sun lounger with orange flower on it as a bed chair.)

I'd have been very grateful to have known about a hammock & tarp before, on lakes that needed a good hike to get to the pegs.

It was Shaun Harrison, a good friend of mine, whom you may have heard of, that gave me the idea. Since, everywhere I can find trees I hang a hammock. Then my bivvy and bed chair stay in the motor.

cheers
    Gareth
    Sorry for digressing here folk..

Your Mums sun lounger lol.. Was it one of those that folded up from the top and the bottom, and went click click click into place..?
    I started on the carpies in the Eighties when it became popular. I started out on the floor on a roll mat before spending way too much money on all the identical kit and posh bits of stainless steel and padded beds from all the right brands. Consumerism got me hook line n sinker.
    That lake of yours looks nice. You got some monsters in that water eh..

Hennesey hammock and Snugpak underquilt...? Could be a pain setting this one up but there must be an easy way somehow. I am sure I have seen an underquilt somewhere that was specifically designed to work with the Hennesey but I just can't think where at the moment.

But saying that, do you have the bottom or side entry?
    Last edited by jus_young; 10-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Hennesey hammock and Snugpak underquilt...? Could be a pain setting this one up but there must be an easy way somehow. I am sure I have seen an underquilt somewhere that was specifically designed to work with the Hennesey but I just can't think where at the moment.

But saying that, do you have the bottom or side entry?
    I've got side entry on the Hennessy. I thought about how an underquilt would work on it before I bought the hammock and just thought the bottom entry version wouldn't work for me. I looked at the KAQ from arrowhead equipment ( http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm ) but they're a bit pricey for me.

I think the snugpak would work fine just may have to attach one corner each end to the ridgeline to get the asym diagonal right.

That's part of the problem.... Most of the small companies making these probably do is by hand with top quality materials, but you pay the price for a bespoke piece of kit. 185$ for an underquilt was way.... over my budget. The Snugpak has easily been warm enough for all the nights I've used it so far.

I didn't have an old sleeping bag to butcher.. and the cost of buying a bag and making my own would have not been significantly less than the Snugpak.. plus the fact I have no sewing equipment.
    The only drawbacks I can see to the Snugpak is that it is twice the weight of the Arrowhead version and certainly more bulky. To me the weight and bulk are not an issue.. it fits fine in the sleeping bag compartment of my pack with my sleeping bag. As for the extra pound in weight, well my gear is anything but ultra light, being mostly military.

Finally I asked myself the question "Will I be using this where I walk huge distances?" the answer is NO!! I will do short hikes in to the local forests with my son for weekend camping trips, the rest of the time it will be for fishing where I can park my car right close by.

For the price its a brilliant piece of kit..

Cheers
    Gareth

I wonder if it would be a fessable option to make one out of felt or something slike that?
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Here's the Snugpak under blanket in use while waiting for the fish to bite....

cheers
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casey View Post
    I wonder if it would be a fessable option to make one out of felt or something slike that?
    Do the sleepig bag underquilt option Ben, it is cheap and works.