Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: £900.00 for a knife!

I wonder if what Alan Woods forks cost?
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Jakob,I agree for the right knife ie; historical value or age/rarety etc then yeh why not if you got the money. I do think that £900. for something modern is vergying on profitering? There are makers on here who in my humble and very amatuer opinion turn out at the very least equal blades. If i was in the market for a hand made,individual bushcraft knife i know that the liks of dave,mike,tony et,al could give me exactly what i want along with a whole load of change! Like i said in my earlier post i admire ray, he is undoubtly a very talented and skillfull man,but his prices are a tad fierce.

I see the knife prices over there and think "WTF!?!", more so when I quickly realize your pound is about double our dollar, and think "Geez, mine are a steal!"

Mike, sorry to put you on the spot but what would you want for a woodlore copy? You are correct when you say WTF,its a bit mad and i really don't understand how these guys can justify the prices they ask. Paul

They're not too bad. I had the stacked leather handle one. I found they made some of the work harder though. They don't do bad as a camp knife. Carving tasks and things like that, they struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlee View Post
    Totally agree. Got a Ka Bar D2 for 75 quid. Not a pretty wood handle, just a black blade but it works.

I've seen this conversation So many times now. Is it/isn't it worth £500-£900 ?

Simple answer is that it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Personally I think it's bonkers. The knife itself is standard O1 tool steel with a "basic" wooden handle. I've built knives like this for less that £100 out of the same O1 tool steel but put far superior handle stock on.

What you are paying for is the name and the kudos of owning a "designer" knife. The shame of it is that there are countless people out there who would sell their soul to get these knives. I have a friend who spent 2 hrs watching, pausing, rewinding and pausing again a Ray Mears DVD just so he could see which two initials where on his GB small forest axe so that he could get the same maker!

Besides all this the Scandi grind isn't particularly well suited to bushcraft in my opinion.

Ade
    Last edited by AdrianRose; 09-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.

I'v made one, cheep I only want £480 for it,lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MY BLADES 040.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	3778

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MY BLADES 039.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	3779I'v made one, cheep I only want £480 for it,lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MY BLADES 040.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	3778Not for sale,but you can see wot you can do with a bit of work and it didant cost anny thing like the £480 odd that Ray wonts for one,you wont one make it

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Besides all this the Scandi grind isn't particularly well suited to bushcraft in my opinion.

Ade
    Just put me crash helmet on Ade
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    Just put me crash helmet on Ade
    ?????