Thread: hultafors axes?

hultafors axes?

hi all,
    i'm looking to get my first quality axe. i'm looking for a camp axe, kindling maker, crafting and general chopper but i don't want to break the bank. i have been looking at hultafors axes as they seem to be good quality and made in sweden which is always a plus but my question is, are they anyware close to the quality of gransfors axes? i have also been looking at the wetterlings scout as i have heard they make good axes, and comes in around the same price bracket as hultafors axes.
    thanks,
    Aaron.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Trapper
    I bought one from Heinnie.com and I think it's brilliant value. It had a very dodgy grind on the edge but I've sorted that and it now does the job beautifully. Great steel and a proper hickory handle. The only downside is the weight, don't go for the large forest axe if you want to lug it, go for the smaller option. And don't do what I did which was to oil the handle before using it. Slipped out ouf my hand and nearly took my leg off. You live and learn. And limp.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Hi Aaron, I've been using them for years now, and honestly their up to the job, As Dan XF has said, you don't get the edge grind the same as GB, but thats easy enough to deal with, just a couple of hours and an axe stone. once that done, there equal to anything your find out there IMHO
    Life in not made up by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away -Anon

I asked much the same thing quite recently. Here's the link and there's some excellent advice in it LINKY
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Trapper
    Just checked back on the Heinnie website, mine is the Large Agdor but the non large option is only £31. I think it's the same as mine but with a shorter handle. Although I think that if I wanted to use one for trekking I'd probably go for a Cold Steel trail Hawk. They look nice and light but still good enough to chop with.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Had a fairly new hultafors (gift) snap right on the working edge, about 5-10mm of the whole working edge snapped completely off!!! I know what I'm doing with an axe and it hadn't been much used or ever abused.!! Ive used cheap ass axes before that have become blunt quickly but never had an axe 'snap/break' before.! A forging/tempering fault...
    I've used an old husqvarna hatchet for years and now swear by wetterlings as they're simply the best value. Gransfors are great quality but I find the blades a little thin and the wetterlings have a better profile for me allowing use for chopping small logs where a Gransfors don't fair as well (bite too deep-get stuck.!) But to be fair, a Gransfors is better finished out 'of the box'..

it shouldn't do that, obviously. Return it to wherever you bought it and I'm sure they will replace it free of charge. Hultafors are one of the big 3 Swedish makers and have a reputation to maintain. When I first got a Gransfors a corner snapped clean off the edge, so i called the folk i got it from and the axe was replaced straight away (and that was 15 years ago, so before they became commonplace in the UK and only 1 company sold them!).
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!