Thread: advice on karabina mod on travel hammock

advice on karabina mod on travel hammock

hi guys i got a travel hammock and would like to do the karabina mod but will this mean i can not use this as a bivi because i can not peg the corners down with the end of the hammock scrunched up ??

all advice welcome thanks in advance
    Bush Craft Is For Everyone Its Only Fair To Share!!!

I have done this mod on mine and the very same question came to mind. Even when bunched it is possible to use it as a bivvy because of the length of the hammock. The problem though is that it does become a little cramped, thats more cramped than you would usually be! The solution I thought of was that if I needed to open up the ends again for use as a bivvy then I could tie a couple of lengths of paracord to the new amsteel loops before pullng them out, then the cord would be left in place so that it can then be used to draw the amsteel back in for bunching it back up again. Would only take a few seconds to do.

I suppose its one of those compromises again but then how often would you really need to do it?

i fully intend not to have to do it lol tree swinger all the way if i can i just wonderd if it was still possible just in case i need to say on the Yorkshire moors where you can have a long walk to a tree ect but thanks for the reply i think i will get on with it

thanks again
    Bush Craft Is For Everyone Its Only Fair To Share!!!

you could get yourself some cord and try whats in this THREAD

Hi there
    IMHO a better option is whoopie slings. I got mine form UKhammocks for about 12£. They have a fixed loop on one end that goes through your channel on your hammock. As its just looped through its easy to remove quickly if you ever decide to go to ground.
    Also the suspension is far less bulky than the supplied webbing, doesn't stretch at all, so your hammock doesn't sag once you've set it.

I've been using my Trave for just under a year now and the whoopies were by far the best mod I've made to it...

cheers
    Gareth