Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Making a Pop Can Meths Stove & Hobo Stove

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    I suggets the coin, as with just the holes you always get a centre burn. And just in case the flame gets pulled into the can - Bang.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Just finished tinkering with another one ...

I think I'm addicted

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    I suggets the coin, as with just the holes you always get a centre burn. And just in case the flame gets pulled into the can - Bang.
    Is it possible that if the flame gets pulled inside the can, it will explode?

It has been known. if the centre hole is large enough to allow the alcohol to ignite within the stove, but not large enough to allow the pressure out, then they can pop! However It has never happened to me in all my experimentation. But it is worth keeping in mind.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    It has been known. if the centre hole is large enough to allow the alcohol to ignite within the stove, but not large enough to allow the pressure out, then they can pop! However It has never happened to me in all my experimentation. But it is worth keeping in mind.
    Will the penny stop it?

Yeah, the penny basically acts as a valve. As the alcohol boils, the pressure lifts the penny and gas burns in the centre of the stove, as the pressure reduces, the penny drops and seals the unit, preventing the flame entering the stove when there is little or no fuel left or when the stove is first lit.

My mini-cook system

Here's a quick view of one of my DIY penny stove with my EDC mini-cook system.

Basically, the system comprises a cooking pot which is a stainless steel tea caddy and lid I had lying around and holds a pint of water and it's coupled with a side burner coke can penny stove. The stove holds around 2 oz of meths ( a little larger than most). It will boil 1 pint in around 12 minutes using 1 oz of fuel and hold that boil for 3/5 minutes. With 2 0z of fuel it becomes a long burner and is pretty versatile.

System also contains a small fabric water filter, a few chlorine water purification tablets, aluminium foil wind shield, foil ground shield, a 2 oz fuel bottle, some ezbit style fuel tablets, a tea light candle, small lighter, little 3 sided folding pot stand for the ezbit & the tea light.

One Ezbit or the tea light can be used for simmering or the ezbit's can be used all together for boiling water so the kit (as shown) gives me 3 full boils of a pint each time.

The whole lot stows away inside the caddy pot which I've shown along side a normal coke can for a size comparison. Caddy is 4 inches (100mm) diameter.

OK, it's not pretty or hi-tech but it works, it's light, I got a kick out of making it and it was sooo.. cheap...!

Could be a little lighter and might boil a little faster with an aluminum pot instead of stainless steel so there is room for further improvement.

I'm going to make a foil/bubble-wrap pot cozy and I'm looking for a 4.5 or 5 inch (125mm) tin can that I can make into a hobo wood burning stove that I can fit my caddy system into and then I've got all bases covered in one tight package...!
    Last edited by paul standley; 26-11-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling

I enjoy this thread. I made a couple last year but was doing something wrong. This encourages me to try again. Thanks, John.

i bought the bushbuddy ultra had to wait 3 weeks for it when it finaly got here and i fired it up i was realy impressed with how efficient and light it was. i bought it coz i wanted the lighest wood burning stove i could get.

Made a Red Bull 5 cent (not penny) stove. Here it is:

at the 9 minutes mark with 30ml of 96% alcohol, it was boiling 500ml of water (and probably if I stopped opening the lid constantly to see how it was going it would started to boil earlier)

It ran out of fuel shortly after the 20 minute mark.

It was my first attempt and I've yet to solve one little problem in the primming, but i'm relatively happy with my efforts for now.