Thread: Turbolighters

Turbolighters

Over the years I have bought a couple of turboflame turbolighters. The trouble is that the sparker seems to wear out after a year or so. Which is disapointing because they have a 5 year guarantee. Does anyone know a better make that lasts longer than this or do all turbolighters have this problem?

I must point out that the reason I haven't claimed on the guarantee is because the paintwork is chipped which counts as abuse.

I use turboflame lighters a lot for many daily tasks, like melting rope ends, lighting rubbish burners, and even have used one for soldering.
    they can be tempermental if a couple of rules are not followed, firstly the correct grade of butane must be used or it will clog up the lighter as i found to my cost! secondly always vent out the lighter by depessing the valve on the bottom before refilling.
    if you follow these rules(check out http://www.turboflame.co.uk/maintenance.php) you should have trouble free lighting for several years, as my current turboflame is about 30 months old.
    regards-Steve

Tribal Elder
    not to my liking, Had one for a while. never works when you need it, now doesn't work at all. Can't go wrong with a Zippo...its even cheaper.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
    I use turboflame lighters a lot for many daily tasks, like melting rope ends, lighting rubbish burners, and even have used one for soldering.
    they can be tempermental if a couple of rules are not followed, firstly the correct grade of butane must be used or it will clog up the lighter as i found to my cost! secondly always vent out the lighter by depessing the valve on the bottom before refilling.
    if you follow these rules(check out http://www.turboflame.co.uk/maintenance.php) you should have trouble free lighting for several years, as my current turboflame is about 30 months old.
    regards-Steve
    Cheers Scorpian

I guessed there must be a knack to it. I must admit, I've never had a lighter that was so prone to cold weather issues. Must remeber to keep it in my trouser pocket between uses. Problem is, since I stopped smoking, I never normally carry a lighter with me.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I am a fan of the turbo lighters, i have had one of these http://www.paramountzone.com/microtorch.htm for over 10 years. I know there are alot of crap ones around but these really are good. It works in all weather and has never let me down.

I have the Primus Power Lighter II. Like all gas lighters it is not very fond of cold weather (and, as I have been told; high altitudes). But, if you carry it in your inner pockets, to keep it nice and warm, it is actually a nice and quite stabile little lighter. The angled head make it a lot easier to deploy the flame where you want it, compared to more traditionally designed turbo lighters.

I tend to carry my turbo lighter mainly as a backup. I prefer using matches or - better yet - my firesteel and tinder. It may take some extra time and effort, but it is always a good thing to practice your fire lighting skills - aswell as is being, imho, a much more fulfilling experience to start a fire by "primitive" means.