Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bivvi bags

Bivvi bags

I was thinking of getting dutch bivvi bag soon for stealth camping. Has anyone used one? Was it good?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I've got a military MVP bivvi bag. Hateful thing and not something I would sleep in out of choice. Too cramped and nowhere to store your kit if it starts raining. Having said that, I'm sure there are others who love the experience.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

When I sleep out I ground dwell and so always use a bivvi bag.I also use a tarp for the reason Martin gives.
    The dutch bivvi is highly recommended but it is a military bag and therefore big,heavy and bombproof.I prefer something lighter as I don't put my kit through squaddie abuse(anymore).I went for the highlander pro-force hawk bivvi.It's big,light and me-proof.

You can't go wrong with a hunka bivy from alpkit and a tarp combo. Light, cheap and does the job well

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I use the standard issue Bivi and I'm very happy with it.

Hobo
    As said by Luresalive the issue kit is good for the job, depending on what your doing. If it's only for a night then anything is OK. Two or Three weeks in one and they all get bashed up and can be repaired or binned. The price range is rediculous, you can get 5 star hotel for the price of some. used with a good tarp they are VGood, Each to his own.

Tribal Elder
    More about Bivvi Bags

We were recommending bivvi bags earlier to a new recruit... i recommended the cheapy orange bag and another chap said they weren't so good due to the sweating and cooling effect (I acknowledge this - had a similar experience with gloves and it was unpleasent...cant imagine how the whole body effect felt) and recommended the goretex type as the better alternative. As I only have an older army type bivvy I might seek out a newer goretex type one - any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    More about Bivvi Bags

We were recommending bivvi bags earlier to a new recruit... i recommended the cheapy orange bag and another chap said they weren't so good due to the sweating and cooling effect (I acknowledge this - had a similar experience with gloves and it was unpleasent...cant imagine how the whole body effect felt) and recommended the goretex type as the better alternative. As I only have an older army type bivvy I might seek out a newer goretex type one - any recommendations?
    The "orange" bags are basically 'survival' bags in the event that you get caught out in bad weather and need to cover yourself not for normal bivvy-style use. They cost around £2 ($3) and fold up very small and for their cost and weight I'd recomend keeping one in your kit but not for normal overnight sleeping.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Tribal Elder
    What about for sleeping?

ive got a dpm ex army goretex bivi bag,i can say its a great bit of kit,yes it could be bigger but last time i slept out it peed down and i was snug and dry in it,it has a permanant place in my rucksack.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.