Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking up limpets and other Crustaceans HELP!

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhunterbushcraft View Post
    Hey guys,
    Living in area near the sea just a quick help how to cook limpets so i don't well.....die

ALL HELP APPRECIATED
    Well There are many edibles on the coast, as Ray Mears understands, for our ancestors, when the tide is out, the table is set.

You can eat mussels, clams, razor clam?, limpets, periwinkles, cockles, green shore crab, all I can think of, just watch out for filter feeders, they contain toxins if there has been a red tide, if I right you can only pick filter feeders in a month with "R" in it.

Here is a good page for you.

http://chrismolloy.com/www/p135

Last edited by Fletching; 27-01-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Limpets don't move far from their resting hollow so it is very easy to decimate the population in a specific area. Try to take a few from here and a few from there and you walk along the rocks.

Also I seem to remember something about limpets changing their sex as they age so it is important not to just take all the big ones and to take a variety of sizes.

Also consider slipper limpets. These are an invasive species that are bad news for our indigenous oysters. I have never tried them but I am gonna try and get some this year

aman
    aman

I quite like limpets.
    Taste and texture reminded me of whelks.
    We cooked ours by laying the limpets on a stone and then raking some hot embers over them.
    If you click on my blog (link in signature) you'll find a post called 'Limpets' (may be on the second page) and you can read about our limpet experiment there.
    I'd certainly eat them again.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I prize them off of their rock and put them on a flat stone. Then I light a big (football sized) bunch of dried grass on top of them. Takes about 30 seconds to cook them. Remove the black bit and crack on.

For the record, I think they taste rubbish and probably need some seasoning; and melted butter; maybe with some garlic or tarragon.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook