Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking up limpets and other Crustaceans HELP!

Post Cooking up limpets and other Crustaceans HELP!

Hey guys,
    Living in area near the sea just a quick help how to cook limpets so i don't well.....die

ALL HELP APPRECIATED

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    You don't need to cook them, they're fine raw. If you want to cook them, pop them in a pot with some boiling water for a couple of minutes. Don't eat the black bit at the top, it's the stomach.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thumbs up Thanks

thanks Martin,
    My grandad used to take me and my brother fishing and used limpets (the sea was at doorstep ) and i asked how to cook them and never got an answer

If you're going to cook them, just use a minimum amount of water. You're just steaming them out of their shells, not boiling them.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Ray Mears also showed how to cook them on a flat stone near the fire in one of his videos. Enjoy!

You can just place them upside down in a few embers, when they'm bubbling they'm done. As Martin said, don't eat the black bit :chew on:
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Toxins are one of the main things that concern me about using limpets, whelks, crabs etc is that the case here?

I think you just need to be sure not to get them near the sewage pipes
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Boil them till they come out of the shell (a few minutes) take the stomach out and liquidise the meat (foot) add them to a pot containing a tin of chicken soup and a handfull of chopped smoky bacon and heat up, it makes a fantastic chowder!!

Limpets are not filter feeders like mussels so not such a problem as far as toxins are concerned. Limpets move around the rocks hoovering up the seaweed and vegetation. Obviously, if the water is polluted it stands to reason that the things that live in it will be polluted too.

Martin