Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventurer found dead in Scottish wilderness

The guy trying to live in the wild for a year was clearly a ill prepared idiot, this second guy sounds like he has suffered a accident of some sort,lets hope he is found safe and well

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    this second guy sounds like he has suffered a accident of some sort,lets hope he is found safe and well
    looks like the search has been stood down

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...ter-three-days
    Last edited by Silverback; 24-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    [

Hobo
    That what happens when you listen to Bear Grylls.

Cuppa Joe, it happen in Scotland mate, no much use from solar power this time of the year, lol. Just kiding.
    I don’t know what kind of background this guy had, maybe he is or was in the army, could be somebody with loads of experience, and a death wish (Be careful what you wish for) but even Bear Grylls would have a backup plan and a bloody back up team that is getting paid a fortune to be there just in case.

I was always taught you tell people where your going your route and time plan and waht to do if they dont hear from you.

I do that now no matter what or where Im going and even if I was going to try and do something like that I would tell some one my plans and routes.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I agree with you ben, i always say where i'm going even if it's just over the common,Sapper, suprised they have called off the search although after 5 days i guess you have to suspect the worse. Not sure what the protocol is for the s/r teams? I can only think they have his kit list and have concluded that after 5 days it's game over??

A good example is that film "127 hours", the poor guy got his arm trapped and had to cut it off with a little tiny pocket knife. He told no one of where he was going. Now he still going out being crazy, with just one arm, but he makes sure every body knows of his intentions and location.

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Not sure what the protocol is for the s/r teams? I can only think they have his kit list and have concluded that after 5 days it's game over??
    Paul MR and SAR dont set the parameters for the search the Police do. The Police have responsibility for all missing persons in the UK, in fact Grampian Police did some really good missing persons research recently.

It will be the Police that have decided to end the search until more information comes to light. A search is usually centered around the point last seen and radiates out from there, certainly in Urban/Rural environs. In mountain/ moorland terrain searches are usually performed first along likely routes of travel, or hot spots where people have historically turned up and then finally onto area searches, when all those areas have been covered then you are left 'searching the world'.

Cue the lecture....always tell someone where you are going, when you expect to return, and a date/time to alert the emergency services if you do not return/check in............breathe........Dont trust electronic gadgetry, learn to navigate, your mobile phone is not a get out of jail free card.......
    Last edited by Silverback; 24-01-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    [

I have been watching this thread quite closely and a few things jump out at me.

Firstly, after having read the original article a few times and done a bit of further delving, the cause of death has yet to be determined. The article only goes so far as to say that it is "believed" to be hypothermia. Is it therefore beyond the realms of possibility that he could have ingested something potentially lethal/toxic.

Also, I worry a little for this poor chaps mental health condition. The first thing that came to my mind when I read the article was "the guy must have been crazy", which then lead to me to wonder if he actually did have some "pre-existing" issues.

I think Saxon, also made a very good point about the "instructor provided rabbit", whilst rabbit are very easy to catch and are certainly plentiful, they are by definition a dreadful food source. Google "rabbit starvation" and see why.

I have long believed that most bushcraft courses seem to have a very heavy bias towards fire lighting and shelter building and little in the way of wild food foraging and wild nutrition. Wild food is a real passion of mine and I have studied it for roughly 18 years now and I'm still stumped as to why more bushcraft companies don't give the subject more than a cursory side line in the course syllabus.

All this having been said, I hope that this poor chap has found "his" heaven and can rest at ease.

Ade.

The other thing that jumps out at me Adrian is that it is the press who print he 'was trying to live like Bear Grylls'

Would the headline have had the same impact as 'trying to live like Ray Mears' ( or Nessmuk or live off grid) .....
    [