Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventurer found dead in Scottish wilderness

I read this recently, I feel for his family, my youngest lad is 29 and I always worry about him when he goes walkabout (mostly fishing trips and motorcross stuff) I know he is well prepared but yer never know the minute.

Rest peacefully.

"Mr Austin is thought to not even have taken a mobile phone with him."

That's a bit of an odd thing to report. I mean where do you charge a phone in the wilderness?
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post

That's a bit of an odd thing to report. I mean where do you charge a phone in the wilderness?
    I thought that too, my batteries last just over a day, I'd have to take a few spare ones.

Tribal Elder
    dudes, you get solar and winding mobile battery chargers now :P

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post

His phone would have helped him, were he to realise he was in the deep sticky brown stuff up to his neck (ill, injured or freezing to death) he could have taken it from where he stored it, turned it on, (turned off, and the phone would not use anything in the way of power) and phoned for help,
    always assuming that the phone could get a signal, and the cold hadn’t killed the batteries.
    As he didn’t take a phone no of the above mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    His phone would have helped him, were he to realise he was in the deep sticky brown stuff up to his neck (ill, injured or freezing to death) he could have taken it from where he stored it, turned it on, (turned off, and the phone would not use anything in the way of power) and phoned for help,
    always assuming that the phone could get a signal, and the cold hadn’t killed the batteries.
    As he didn’t take a phone no of the above mattered.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/freeloader-p...54195&t=module
    oh well try again

The inference that we should rely on mobile technology across the t'interweb worries me.

People are all too eager these days to pick up the phone and dial 999 expecting a big paraffin budgie to swoop out of the night sky - in reality it doesnt happen that way and it certainly wont post 2015.

Hypothermia does weird things to the human body and mind, it decreases your blood O2 levels and increases your blood CO2 levels....its confuses and slows down your thought processes....to the point that people think they are warm when they arent, many Hypothermia victims are found partially clothed because of this.

Even with a mobile phone, with severe Hypothermia you would probably lack the manual dexterity to use it.
    [

someone else missing in the same area, lets hope its a positive outcome

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...two-day-search
    [

very sad