Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY underquilt project

Some nice linkies there. Those instructions are pretty full on and look a hell of a lot more work than just using a sleeping bag. The one I used was a 250gm2 job here but it seems to have gone up in price a bit now. This one isn't too heavy but I have just got to get the foot end sorted a bit better.

Trapper
    excellent thread, will be doing this at some point now! cheers buddy

My pleasure

Jus

What was the reason for adding the webbing straps on the underquilt.

I have a quilt which I want to convert. Its made from 80% Polyester and 20% cotton but doesn't look 'shiney' water resistant like the one that you have used. Do you think that I would be able to waterproof it considering what my bag is made of.

To be honest I wouldn't bother waterproofing it. Mine was only shiney because of the type of material they used, no water resistance. If you need some kind of moisture barrier you would be better having a cover to slip around it. That way you have maximum breathability in warmer weather.

The webbing was put on so that I could attach some additional shock cord and run it over my ridge line for extra support if needed. I have used this every time now as the shock cord in mine gives a little too much.

Thanks mate.

Found another bag in the loft today which is more ideal. Its a double size which is 200g per sq mtre. I will be able to make this one go the full length of my hammock but am wondering about the width.

My hammock is 1.8 metre wide at its widest point so do I have to follow suit with the underquilt, matching its width as well as length.

Not really. The width needs to be wide enough to wrap around your body profile and will keep you warm if it is a snug fit against the hammock. If you think of those people that use mats in their hammocks, the mat is only under the body, not wrapped around the side. That's the job of a good top quilt or sleeping bag.

chubbs ,the one i made was a double duvet,full 6 foot across but then the one mrs fish has i made and is 4 foot across.

justin your a star maker mate well impressed!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Nice job there
    Campfires are best shared with friends.