Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammock Development

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    It's a good idea, but when you lie on your side, your back will still get cold surely???

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    When I started training as a paramedic we still used stretcher canvases with poles to move patients from one bed to another. You could put two sleeves down the side and use light alloy tent poles to give more rigidity and then use a thinner lighter foam mat that you could leave to self inflate without having to blow into. Try looking at a big wall portaledge. These are the climber's hammocks they use for lying flat on a cliff face. Similar principle but not a hand sewn masterpiece. Also may I add that your English grammar is fantastic, better than mine.
    thanks for the great info! on YT a guy suggested along those lines (if i understand correctly), i.e. to use walking sticks to add rigidity to the system (when they're placed smartly even a lot of it).

PS: thanks for the english compliment, trying my best

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Looks very comfy indeed. I was wondering how you would hang a tarp over that??

Martin
    The tarp is used "diagonally". 9x9ft seems ok but I'll go for a dedicated one with "flaps" to "close the door".... probably doesn't make sense (will make a vid)

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    It's a good idea, but when you lie on your side, your back will still get cold surely???
    yes, without sleeping bag it will. at night, i'll always use a sleeping bag or blanket. the main problem is the very area you're lying on, because without the isomat, your bag/blanket will get compressed and loose its insulation power.

instead of using the isomat solution, so called underquilts are used (they are quite widespread). I do not really like them because i move a lot during my sleep and that often causes the quilt to move partly away from the hammock and thus loosing its insulation power.

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Nice idea, be sure to share version 2 with us when you get there... this vid led me on to a search of "bridge hammocks" on you tube which I think I like better than my own diy gathered edge hammock so will be looking to make a diy bridge type in the spring.
    cool! I would be interested to see the result of your efforts! love to chat around diy gear and mods

Naturally, like a lot of others will have done, I rushed to llokk at Bridge Hammocks
    I have to say that I think your design is better in that every "bridge hammock" that I have looked at sags toward the middle
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Naturally, like a lot of others will have done, I rushed to llokk at Bridge Hammocks
    I have to say that I think your design is better in that every "bridge hammock" that I have looked at sags toward the middle
    my centre lines are somewhat shorter than the outward lying ones in addition to the fact that, generally, from the foot to the head, the lines get shorter. this makes that, if you lay in it, the position is horizontal and flat (not saggy). if you go to the extremes, you can have a "negative sag", i.e. head and feet lower than bum....

To be released this spring, but pricey!!!

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-fe...e/8525-10.html

Here it is being used 5.20 in. They were sleeping out at -28degC! Gotta love Shug

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery?feature=watch
    Last edited by jus_young; 26-01-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    To be released this spring, but pricey!!!

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-fe...e/8525-10.html

Here it is being used 5.20 in. They were sleeping out at -28degC! Gotta love Shug

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery?feature=watch
    thanks mate for the links! whoooo buddy, all secure in sector seven....

am amazed about how close the designs look! I am working on a second prototype because I still see lots of improvement potential. will show asap (too little spare time for serious sewing at the moment)

My pleasure, keep us informed as I'm interested to see how this develops.