Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distress signal (whistle)

Distress signal (whistle)

Hi folks,

I've just bought myself a Fox 40 whistle to add to my keyring. I'm very pleased with it, it claims to be 120db and I can believe it!

Now, my reason to post this is not about how pleased I am with my purchase but because I've always understood the distress signal with a whistle was six long blasts, rest a minute and repeat. The answering call being three long blasts, rest a minute and repeat. This to be continued until rescuer and rescuee are in site of each other. Of course SOS can also be used with three long, three short and three long blasts.

However, on the packaging for the whistle is a description of the international whistle code which is;
    One blast: "Where are you?" Two blasts: "Come to me." Three blasts: "I need help!"
    If you hear any of these signals respond with one blast. Each blast should last three seconds.

Can anyone tell me which should be used in a UK setting? The International one seems easier and more logical conveying more information but, I'm an old fashioned kind of bloke and old habits die hard. I think any repeated blowing of a whistle would attract attention, but it would be nice to be using the correct signals in the event of an emergency!

Al

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    In the UK, three or six blasts with a minute rest between each group of three or six. Three to signal that you have understood etc.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 12-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    In the UK, three or six blasts with a minute rest between each group of three or six. Three to signal that you have understood etc.

Martin
    Thanks Martin!

My ears are ringing just reading this! My ear drums take a beating even with a quick loud blast from a Fox 40.

I've always understood it as three blasts to indicate the need for help, same as three shots from a rifle.

I'm with Mike and Martin , three blasts with a minute rest.

I hope you never have to do it for real though Al

Me too Shewie, though, I'd rather know and not need it than not know it at all.

For the the three blasts goes with Mike's three shots and also three fires etc better. As I said though, I've always thought it was six. Pretty sure that's what I was taught on the Offshore Survival course I did for the gas industry years ago too. I was wondering if things had been updated and I'd not heard about it.

Thanks for the replies folks!

Al

Hmm, should have tried here first: http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/mountain-advice

Directly from the above site: "Take a whistle and learn the signal for rescue. Six good long blasts. Stop for one minute. Repeat. Carry on the whistle blasts until someone reaches you and don't stop because you've heard a reply – rescuers may be using your blasts as a direction finder."

So now I know.

Al

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    If I was out on Dartmoor, which I will be every other weekend from February, and I hear a whistle being blown I will respond with three blasts and go and investigate no matter how many blasts there are. I'm sure most walkers would do the same too and any MRT would take any signal seriously.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

If I was out on Dartmoor, which I will be every other weekend from February, and I hear a whistle being blown I will respond with three blasts and go and investigate no matter how many blasts there are. I'm sure most walkers would do the same too and any MRT would take any signal seriously.

Martin
    I'm with Martin on this one, keep making noise untill you attract help, at the end of the day, it does not matter if you're well versed in the correct number of blasts
    on the whistle, it does not mean your would be rescuer will be!
    However humans by nature are inquisitive and if you create enough racket someone will want to know why!

Martin
    I couldn't agree more Martin, I'd be disgusted if anyone started saying they wouldn't respond to anything other than the 'correct' signal as used by the UK Mountain Rescue. I was merely trying to clarify what the current correct signal was so that I might be properly prepared as recommended by SAR teams. It seems to me that too many head for the wilder parts of our country with nothing more than an attitude of 'put myself and my family at risk; I've got an app for that!'

I have the old computing saying running through my mind, "The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from".

Al