Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Challenge No2.

Bushcraft Challenge No2.

After camping out recently in minus temperatures i experienced a slight problem with using my brass meths trangia burner.
    Falling out of my Hammock in the morning doing the customary butt scratching the first thing on me mind was "COFFEE".The fire had burnt out and to get a fire meant gathering more wood(in the snow :0( ).So i turned to my trangia burner which i'd left out over night with meths still in it.Problem was it was too cold for the meths to vapourise,i eventually got round this by placing it in a pan and soaking the whole lot in meths stored in my kit bag to prime the burner.

The Survival Challenge Scenario.
    You are stuck out in the bush in minus temp's with just your trangia brass/allu burner and only the meths thats stored in it.to survive the night you need to be able to light the burner to make your meal and hot beverage.

The challenge set is to design and make a cosy/cover or container that insulates your burner(with meths inside) that will take a spark with out the need to prime.
    If you want you can also design and use materials that will also reflect the heat in summer to prevent rapid evaporation of the meths.
    Brass/Allu burners in winter refrigerate the meths in the cold and absorb the suns heat causing loss of meths through evaporation in the summer,either way you are using more meths than necessary so this challenge is about efficiency and functional kit.

No rules for this other than designing either a cosy/cover or a trangia style burner that takes a spark after spending a few hours straight from the fridge.The meths must be stored inside the burner during refrigeration.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Mike Hammond.

P.S when i say prime i refer to soaking the whole burner in Meths to warm the burner(wasting fuel),this method is not allowed nor using a wick.The challenge is to prime the meths by getting a spark to ignite inside the well of the burner itself when left in the cold.

mmmm, just when i thought i could go to sleep and i read this, now i will probably be awake all nite trying to think of a solution.

steve

Mike...

1. Are we doing this for real or 'in our heads' ?...

2. does the Trangia already have a sealed cap to prevent fuel evaporation overnight ?

Paul
    Last edited by paul standley; 08-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Sorry to divert slightly from your challenge Mike, if I found myself in your situation I'd use a digging stick to dig a hole in the ground beneath my hammock-9" to 12" deep and bury the trangia burner, the earth holds a constant temp of around 6*c even in sub zero temps, unless you were in an area with permafrost

the best thing is to sleep with you burner right next to you in a pocket or something and it will be warm enough to ignite it...

Hobo
    All you really need to do get a cheap thermos style flask, if you look on youtube you will find cideos showing you how to create a hobo stove form the flask. within the flask you can store a bottle of meths. The vacuum will keep the meths quite warm.

Tramp
    jus an idea but have you tried a meths/wax/vasoline mix for burning instead of liquid meths it was some thing i stumbled acroos when trying to make a cloth water proofer i dropped my fag near some and it burnt pretty well jus a thought lol

Nice idea,I've never experimented with mixing the meths,I will try it.also suggested using a wick,maybe one soaked in vasoline would be successfully..nice one pal
    RAY MEARS ATE MY POTPLANT

Hobo
    I have to agree with bush man on this. Basic army survival is wet or cold it goes in your gonk bag with you.
    Happy Hunting

Fuutpad