Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

Trapper
    Probably watching Eddie Magee on television in the 70's and living next to an old abandoned airfield that had been reclaimed by nature. I used to watch his shows and be amazes by the idea of walking out into the woodland with next to nothing and just living on your whits. I was lucky enough to have a pet dog that loved being out all day so during warmer months I would get up and head off in to the woods and not return until the sun set. When I left school I went into a few jobs from the building trade through to local govt. I was looking for something and joined the TA and was lucky enough to end up with two ex regular instructors who talked me in to going in the regulars. Loved that and ended up learning a lot of field craft working in 2 man teams doing close target recces for the Int Cell. I went back to the TA and my boss was Richard Holmes who saw a potential in me I'd never seen and asked if I'd thought about being an Officer. With his help and support I did Officer Selection and ended up on a 3 year Short Service Commission. Back in to the woods and plenty of time on Dartmoor, The Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia later I was getting pretty good at the idea of LNT. I did fail Special Forces Selection but at least I had a go at it and was invited back for another try but decided I wasn't really up to the job. Eddie Magee and his No Need To Die book and TV Show started it but Cpl Coombes, Cpl Carter, Sgt Evans and Lt Col Holmes all inspired me in ways that can't be put in to words in a language as unpoetic as English. I'm hoping that as my son gets older my wife will allow him to spend whole days out in the woods, it's an apprenticeship that has such fine rewards.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Living near a big ol' wood.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    Steve p.s. During basic, I was trained as a signaler like Ben Casey as well. We've both got f*cked backs - must be 'transmitter-karma'!
    It must have been all the heavy radios we had to run around with mate LOL Or the radiation from them
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

this website and Ray Mears got me into bushcraft and getting outdoors more
    bacon on the fire

I would have to say Ray Mears. I was in the U.S. Army, but actually that kind of turned me off the outdoors, they kind have a way of ruining a good thing

But I always liked camping and really loved knives ,axes, and machetes, add in a couple of Ray Mears vids from youtube and here I am.
    mind over matter...if you don't mind...it doesn't matter

Cant put it down to any one thing, always played in the country side as a kid and done the usual building camps, used a couple of old carving knives etc.
    Recently just wanting to get away from the urban sprawl, and love making things and generally playing again.
    Love youtube as so educational.

At age 6, my dad gave me a Helle scout knife, and since then I headed into the forest instead of going to the football fields...
    It must have helped that we went camping a lot when we were kids as well, and then it was the army.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

My folks always encouraged me to go out as a kid. We lived on the outskirts of a town in Lancashire and I found if I went towards town I ended up in playing cat & mouse with various roaming thugs & their mates. So i took to walking the other way on the roads to the villages of the rural areas. It was there I bumped into the local policeman. He was a pain in the backside and simply wouldn't accept I was not intending to get up to any mischief. After a few run-ins with him I took to leaving the roads and heading for the remote areas such as the moors or woodlands.

There I found things to my liking. I rarely met anyone and when I did they were nearly always polite and friendly. I guess it may have been negative influences to send me out into nature, but I continue to enjoy my wanders and learn something every trip.

Tribal Elder
    Ray Mears...especially the story of the Bielski partisans he did a show on....

more lately Les Stroud.. who actually puts his money where his mouth is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielski_partisans

A little tyk that I was told not to play with has a ten year old becaues he came from the other sid of the street.Over the next ten years or so we were over the woods all our spair time.