Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

Hobo
    It was nice to read how all these great people got into bushcraft.
    Myself, I was 14, last term in elementary school, and after it was over, we went on a final class excursion. There were all kinds of outdoor activities available, though most of my classmates spent their time staying in the hotel area watching tv, playing football and swimming in the pool. However, myself and two other guys were eager to try all the activities, so we went practising archery with all kinds of different bows and crossbows, tried fishing with no luck from my side, went on lengthy trips in the surrounding mountains, but the real breakthrough came when a survival instructor type of guy took us on an overnight trip. He showed us different trees, smaller plants, fungi and their uses, he taught us how to build a fire and how to navigate using the stars. We were astonished and wanted to learn what we thought was survival, but was bushcraft in reality. Next day we stumbled upon a military shop in the village, and bought ourselves some gear, I asked for a good survival book, and the cashier gave me the famous Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handbook. I'm hooked ever since, and I consider Ray Mears as my biggest hero

As a kid growing up in the East end of London we used to cycle at weekends to a place called Wanstead and on to Epping forest. Climbing trees, lighting fires (cooking not arsonist). We collected newts, toads, slow worms and an adder that I mistook for a small grass snake. We soon learnt that watching the creatures in the natural environment was far better than capturing them. Later I started hill walking and camping and the more remote the place the better. I only really got into Bushcraft after finding this site and reading the articles which encouraged me to have a go. I then joined the Forum and was inspired. So it wasn't really any one person. I blame you all collectively, for which you have my heartfelt thanks.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

I am still growing up in Kent and spent loads of time outside as a nipper. I joined the Air Cadets in my teens and spent many a weekend in Pippingford Park (Crowborough) and Mereworth (Seven Mile Lane, near Offham).

I've always been inspired by Ernest Shackleton and his crew surviving in the Antarctic and of course there's Uncle Ray who has really brought bushcraft into our living rooms.

I continue to be inspired by the other members of this forum, from their knowledge (that is given so freely) and their craftsmanship.

M@

I second the last paragraph totally.Paul