Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

Trapper
    Was always interested in wildlife and lived in the countryside all my life (bar a few years in a couple of cities). Probably the biggest influence towards actual bushcrafty things was the absolute nutter of a Scout master who insisted that we did fires, and knots/lashings, and boats etc most nights, and every year we spent a week on an island on Loch Lomond. Most summer Friday nights he would get us building something in the local woods and you quickly learnt to lash properly when you realised that you would be going down the same 'death-slide' (zip line) that you had help put up! The nature thing developed further with my stepfather ranger who got me involved with lots of wildlife and countryside 'stuff'. Talking of which I'm, now, going out to go to a survey site to watch for birds!

Tramp
    My father and my grandfather gave me my first introduction to the outdoors. From the age of 5-6 I guess... Was in the scouts a couple of years, but that almost made me loose interest... (Too much religion and not enough practical stuff... ) When I was 15 I started hunting (Started shooting at 7) When I was 16, I joined the Homeguard youth's. Thats when I found out that my grandfather was friends with two of the sabouteurs from the Heavy Water sabotage. I spent a lot of time with them, and they inspired me towards an Army career and got me interested in the whole "survival/manage on your own" bit.
    All of that, combined with an early interest in knife making and woodworking made sure the interest stayed with me... And still does!

I don't have any kids myself, but my oldest brother does, and now I'm passing on what I know to them. At 11 and 13, they have both made their own knives, know how to make fire without matches, make a shelter etc...

Ive always loved the outdoors. But it was both Ray Mears, and a close friend and neihbour, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago who inspired me to bushcraft

Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Being fortunate enough to of been brought up in an area surrounded by woodland,moors and the coast,with not a lot of money it was inevitable that my childhood would include bushcraft type activities (I remember building my first bivvy and sleeping out,albeit very wet due to the poor design when I was only 11 years old)...reading Lofty Wisemans SAS Survival guide borrowed from the local library was a catalyst for more and more knowledge to be gained,an ongoing process still today some 30+ years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryderi View Post
    The fireball survival leaflet free gift in Bullet comic and a 1970s scout manual my cousin gave me.
    That was odd, I was just about to reply to this thread about how I first got interested with a little booklet given away free with a comic in the `70s, but couldn`t remember what it was called. Just googled it and the Fireball leaflet is the one. I can still remember pestering my mum at the time for an empty baked bean tin to put various bits in, then trying stuff out in the back garden.

EDDIE MAGEE, nuff said!
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

My brother was always into camping when I was growing up and I got all his cast off kit as he upgraded.

Building "Dens" (shelters) and lighting fires is what every young lad growing up around here did.

T.V. -wise It was a Blue Peter spin-off called Duncan-Dares, Where Peter Duncan used to perform feats, such as...

Zip-wire off Blackpool tower,

Cross the Irish sea in a VW Beetle,

But the one that really got me was the episode where he spent the weekend in the woods surviving with Lofty Wiseman.

Next day I went out and bought a BCB fire starting kit
    http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/s...ghting-set.htm

And hinted to my parents that I think we should have that big tin of new potatoes for dinner ! (DIY Billy can)

Still messing about in the woods to this day !

I found out about Bushcraft on my own, but now that I've seen about 2 or 3 series from Ray Mears, I can definitley say that he is a very inspirational figure for me.

I tie the skills of Bushcraft, that is the practical knowledge of the natural world, with the world-view and lifestyle of my ancestors, and that is something about which I'm deeply passionate. As I said in another thread, Bushcraft and nature/wildlife viewing in general is about more than having a good time in the outdoors: it's about honouring the world, nature as a whole.
    Last edited by Oakenwise; 27-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    That was odd, I was just about to reply to this thread about how I first got interested with a little booklet given away free with a comic in the `70s, but couldn`t remember what it was called. Just googled it and the Fireball leaflet is the one. I can still remember pestering my mum at the time for an empty baked bean tin to put various bits in, then trying stuff out in the back garden.

I went for the old Cadbury's coco tin it even came with a lid you signal helicopters with... when you needed rescuing from the back garden. Actually its a pity they aren't around any more lovely for bushcraft use.

For those interested
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(DC_Thomson)

The contents of the leaflet!
    http://www.paulrowley.com/pm%20march%202006.pdf
    Last edited by Pryderi; 28-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Nobody, I've always been pratting around in the countryside, then another prat gave it a different name.