Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

Lofty and his book initially, then followed by Ray Mears who I soon lost favour with. People I met at Natural Bushcraft meets and ultimately the RV sort of rounded it all off nicely. I too prefer Les Stroud these days.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

The now retired National Trust warden who used to teach us stuff for our scout badges. Later in life helped me out by getting me a job on a trust run farm when i went off the tracks a bit. A big nod to Ray Mears as well of course.
    In nature there are no rewards or punishments: there are consequences.

My Uncle who was a trapper for the forestry comission (Spelling sucks I know)
    I used to get sent out to stay with him and my aunt over the school holidays and he used to take me with him.
    I learned so much from that wonderful guy and its stayed with me .
    When my kids came into this world I took them camping fishing shooting and birdwatching. Sometimes staying out with them over night so they could hear the sounds of the woods.
    I Live in a city where there are plenty wildlife just 10 minutes walk from my house.
    Latley its been great to go down the park and watch the otter swimming about in the river.

Cheers
    AL

The fireball survival leaflet free gift in Bullet comic and a 1970s scout manual my cousin gave me.

Ohhhh Man!!!!! I used to be a Fireball agent too haha
    Even nicked my Dad's baccy tin to make a survival kit .. That got me a thumpin lol

Cheers
    AL

It all started with a bloke called Jack Hargreaves on a tv show called "HOW". It was he who planted the seed of outdoor life. I would spend hours out over the fields, with little more than a bottle of "water pop" some butties and my spaniel Pat. After my mum and dad split up I kind of went off the rails big time..... Fortunatly for me, my grand-dad was friends with a a polish man he had met after the war, and I was shipped of to scotland during the summer holiday. It turned out he was a ghillie, and for the next six weeks, the seed planted by Jack, was watered, and bathed in the light of knowlage this man had. He had fought in the polish resistance during the war, and had survived by his cunning, wits and knowlage. He taught me how to shoot, fish, trap, and above all to have respect for nature and all living things. I returned home a different kid and spent the next year getting my life back on track. The following summer I went back to scotland and had the time-of-my life. outside from before dawn till after dusk....and sometimes not returning till the following day. Sadly that was the last summer I was to go, as his brother was taken seriously ill and he returned to Poland. I still carry the values he bestowed, and sometimes when I'm out with my dogs in the woods and the wind whistles in the trees I'm sure I hear him laugh and feel his hand on my shoulder, so it is to Harry my teacher, my mentor, my friend, thank you...
    Last edited by Sar-ian; 20-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar-ian View Post
    It all started with a bloke called Jack Hargreaves on a tv show called "HOW". It was he who planted the seed of outdoor life. I would spend hours out over the fields, with little more than a bottle of "water pop" some butties and my spaniel Pat. After my mum and dad split up and kind of went of the rails big time..... Fortunatly for me, my grand-dad was friends with a a polish man he had met after the war, and I was shipped of to scotland during the summer holiday. It turned out he was a ghillie, and for the next six weeks, the seed planted by Jack, was watered, and bathed in the light of knowlage this man had. He had fought in the polish resistance during the war, and had survived by his cunning, wits and knowlage. He taught me how to shoot, fish, trap, and above all to have respect for nature and all living things. I returned home a different kid and spent the next year getting my life back on track. The following summer I went back to scotland and had the time-of-my life. outside from before dawn till after dusk....and sometimes not returning till the following day. Sadly that was the last summer I was to go, as his brother was taken seriously ill and he returned to Poland. I still carry the values he bestowed, and sometimes when I'm out with my dogs in the woods and the wind whistles in the trees I'm sure I hear him laugh and feel his hand on my shoulder, so it is to Harry my teacher, my mentor, my friend, thank you...
    Funny how your inspiration is called Harry, same as mine and how they have had impact on our lives :-)

Dave

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Sar-ian, your story made me shiver. Thanks for sharing such a personal thought with us.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Basha72 View Post
    Funny how your inspiration is called Harry, same as mine and how they have had impact on our lives :-)

Dave
    Hi Dave, maybe, something in the name perhaps, I think he had more than an impact, he changed my life......

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Sar-ian, your story made me shiver. Thanks for sharing such a personal thought with us.

Martin
    Hi Martin, you're just a big softie really, just wait till I post the soppy stuff, I'll ave you in tears...lol.