Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft Challenge No1.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    If you are already down to the tree line and you have frostbite, I would say keep going to keep warmer..

That aside..
    I would find a large rock/stone and some ideally spaced trees. I would thread the tarp all around, and the loops of cord from the eyelets going enough times around a tree to hold it, and then pass the cord through the next eyelet, and so on until you are back to the first eyelet. Pass the cord through it and then wrap both the ends of the cord around the rock enough times to hold it.. If the rock/stone is not quite big enough to hold the tension, I would push a stick into the ground (between the cords) to hold the rock back..
    Does that make sense..? I could explain it better with a drawing..

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    If you are already down to the tree line and you have frostbite, I would say keep going to keep warmer..

That aside..
    I would find a large rock/stone and some ideally spaced trees. I would thread the tarp all around, and the loops of cord from the eyelets going enough times around a tree to hold it, and then pass the cord through the next eyelet, and so on until you are back to the first eyelet. Pass the cord through it and then wrap both the ends of the cord around the rock enough times to hold it.. If the rock/stone is not quite big enough to hold the tension, I would push a stick into the ground (between the cords) to hold the rock back..
    Does that make sense..? I could explain it better with a drawing..
    Do the sticks in the ground count as pegging?
    Happy Hunting

Fuutpad

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuutpad View Post
    Do the sticks in the ground count as pegging?
    Ok ok.. I will go and find me a bigger rock.. :0P

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Wrap a rock up in the middle of the tarp, larks head (i.e throw two opposite loops around the bulge create by the rock, throw remaining ends of line over thick tree branch, hoist up tarp, wrap around rock again, take seperate ends down to opposite corners, through end loops out to trees/pole in the ground, pull tight around trees and wrap once, return to end loops, thread across to next corners and repeat, bring cord ends up from corner loops and finsih by tucking through wraps made earlier.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

I would pile up some debris for a bed. Then wrap myself up in the tarp and pull loads of debris in with me to create a water proof insulated sleeping bag. Also the act of collecting debris would warm you up alot.

Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

The first problem that I see with this is the idea of having the tarp supported from four points. Given the scenario, I would place my tarp as low to the ground as possible with a portion turned under to act as a ground cloth. Before placing the tarp, I would collect as much wood and boughs as possible. The boughs and any debris would create a bed a good 24 inches or better to insulate me from the cold ground. Pack the remainer of the inner shelter with pine needles or boughs to act as insulation. This is when I would drag out my two large bin liners and construct a debris sleeping sack. The tarp would be arranged in a low Baker style.using hitches on two trees and pullng the slack up each side to set the other two points of the opening. It is fully off the ground and on top of the bedding. The fire would be a long type with as much of a reflector as I could create using the existing terrain features or downed timber. Once the fire is set and the wood pile protected. I'd boil up a cup of cocoa. (Tea and coffes are out as they have diuretics.) Eat as much high carb foods as are available for supper and keep your stainless canteen near the fire to prevent freezing.
    Last edited by SilverBinder; 10-06-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: temporary memory loss
    "This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the 'cat' naughty names!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    Wrap a rock up in the middle of the tarp, larks head (i.e throw two opposite loops around the bulge create by the rock, throw remaining ends of line over thick tree branch, hoist up tarp, wrap around rock again, take seperate ends down to opposite corners, through end loops out to trees/pole in the ground, pull tight around trees and wrap once, return to end loops, thread across to next corners and repeat, bring cord ends up from corner loops and finsih by tucking through wraps made earlier.
    I think a picture might help clarify this a little Mike.

Ade

more thread necromancy.............
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    more thread necromancy.............
    It's alive!! ALIVE!!!!!
    LOL
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin