Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You've got to admire this guy for staying cool.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRAF View Post
    That thar wus a Black Bear, t'ain't a carnivore. Just curious as hell!

Andy
    When Black Bears Attack!
    Although black bear attacks are rare and most victims come out unscathed, this does not negate the fact that black bear attacks do happen and are sometimes fatal. Since 1900, there have been only 45-recorded deaths that were caused by black bears in the North America. This number is very minimal compared to the over 500 conflicts between black bears and humans from 1960 to 1980. Black bear attacks are much more common in the United States than are grizzly bear attacks. The main reason for the difference is the population size of each species. There are approximately 300,000 black bears in the continental United States, whereas there are only about 2000-3000 grizzlies still remaining in the lower 48 states. The larger population of black bears greatly increases the probability of encountering one in the wild.

http://ext.nrs.wsu.edu/publications/Blackbears1.htm

A black bear inst a carnivore?? Of course it is mate they are classed as omnivores they will eat anything! Are you saying it's a vegetarian?

Hobo
    Wow that was real good, wonder how I would have reacted in the same situ. As I have been told sometimes bears are scared of humans & that is why they attack. Good footage & a nice Bear.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WoodTroll View Post
    I think I might have screamed. http://www.wimp.com/curiousbear/
    Amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar experience with a Badger once, I kept my cool; don't see what all the fuss is about
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

at that point the bear should be dubbed as saying 'ime a bear i climb trees for a living,wht the hell are YOU doing there!?'lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    at that point the bear should be dubbed as saying 'ime a bear i climb trees for a living,wht the hell are YOU doing there!?'lol
    LOL.. that's a fair point, I might have to dub that over for my own humorous needs now you've said that
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

was that bear a little short sighted? he seemed very surprised there was someone there! " whoooo, where the fudge did that dude spring from!" kinda moment. i met a grizzly once up outside jasper in canada, it was mildly terror inducing! new undies had to be sought!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    new undies had to be sought!!
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

I wouldnt do it LOL
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Whoa, you could see that bear had his scent from about 5 secs in there, he was simply following the scent trail and didn't recognise it as human..the guy was most likely a deer hunter using a masking scent and that's what the bear was following..But fair play to him for remaining cool!
    Masking Scent! I would have been producing my own masking scent by then! It would have been enough to put off anything.