Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival situation

Survival situation

In a previous thread, Martin brought up a good point about survival vs bushcraft and it was a perspective I had not considered.
    My personal interest in bushcraft is limited to learning interesting new things all geared toward increasing my enjoyment of the
    wilderness; I never put a thought toward being in a survival situation because honestly, I've never been lost far from civilization,
    never known anyone who has been, and I figure the chances of it are so slim I'll sort it out when it happens. Sure, I carry
    mathches on me in case I fall through the ice or flip the canoe in cold weather, but that's about it. I'm just curious to know how
    much thought and effort others put toward the survival side of this hobby.

Jack

Wanderer
    I guess it depends on what you call survival. I’ve been in the position where my car has broken down on the motorway, and its’ been raining.
    Now do I stand spoaking wet in the rain for hours with my family safely behind the barrier away from the risk of a dosing lorry driver? Do I sit in the car warm and dry and have the real risk of my car and my family being destroyed by some overtired lorry driver. Nope, I keep in my car stuff that will mean I can brew up a hot choc or coffee, with a tarp to keep us all dry. Something I’d not have even thought about until I learnt about preparing and craft, mind you the only part of my BOB that is ‘craft is the spoons, pop can stove.
    You don’t have to be in the desert, the icy wastes or Guilford to need survival skills

I put a lot of thought into it.

Picture this:-

I'm in the woods ,alone with some kit with me and I need a fire.I also need shelter and water along with food.

Now ,am I in a survival situation ,or am I out bushcrafting?Which skill that I would use to obtain any of the above essentials can be classed as survival and not bushcraft and vice versa?
    Regardless of the reason you do it ,lighting a fire is lighting a fire.
    Personally I feel there is no difference between survival skills and bushcraft skills.The only difference between the situations is you choose to do one and the other is forced upon you,and maybe a sense of urgency with survival situations.

Put another way:
    I go into the wilds to use mysuvival skills and when I'm in the woods I use my bushcraft skills to get home safely (did you see what I did there?)

Another question.
    If I go to the woods and find I have mistakenly taken my survival knife ,do I have to go home.
    If I find myself in a survival situation with my bushcraft knife ,am I allowed to use it.

what exactly is a survival skill ?

In my experience simply the posession of a map & compass and the ability to use them are essential survival aids. The difference between getting out of the mire in which you have found yourself or spending a very uncomfortable if not life threatening night on a mountain/moor.

The difference between being able to tell mountain rescue where you are and having umpteen MRT's plus dogs and helicopters out looking for you.

At the other end of the spectrum you are in town in a bar and things start to get a bit hairy - knowing when to thin out in that situation is another type of survival skill, being able to apply basic first aid, being able to swim (effectively) all potential skills which may aid your survival and that of others.

Great thread - sure we will get some excellent input into this one
    [

Wanderer
    Back in the early 80s we did a lot of survival weekends, I never heard of bushcraft back then. Mainly it was carring less and lighter loads, maps and compass. Dont ever think it wont happen to you... I nearly had a close call back then and now i carry emergency food, and kit to survive a couple of days in my car.

I suppose in short, you could hate the outdoors but still know survival skills. Where as in bushcraft you love the outdoors and you learn the skills to spend more time outside.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Trapper
    As above i carry in my car always, brew kit and fire lighter kit, powdered chocolate and soups, mars bars (i am diabetic),folding saw, folding spade, Mora knife as well as the folder i always have in my pocket, wool blanket, and an 8x6 foot tarp. In winter i carry waterproof clothes and wellies, if i am going more than 20 miles from home i will pack spare clothes for each person. All this stuff takes up very little room. To date i have never needed any of it, and never decided to go out without it. Stan.
    Last edited by bigstan; 04-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.

This happeneed here in Ontario last year, hundreds of motorists stuck on the side of the road during snow storms, some over 24hrs........

http://www.canada.com/Snow+strands+h...922/story.html

Part of the reason I bought my 4x4, but big reason why I have the back loaded up with all kinds of things, tarps, wool blanket, -10C sleeping bag and bivy sack, bag of military rations, means to cook, survival candles, multiple flashlights, two shovels (one for snow, one German shovel with pick for ice), etc. Saw a while back a neat means of safely heating a car, take one or two empty soup cans, load up with a roll of toilet paper each, and keep a bunch of bottles of rubbing alcohol in the car with you. Pour the alcohol into the toilet paper til it absorbs it without making it too soggy, and light with a match. Run it for a period of time to warm the interior some, then put it out and light it again later as needed.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm not too sure about the burning alcohol idea Mike. Surely, burning any organic compoud (ethnaol, methanol etc) would produce carbon monoxide in the car?

Please check this out before you need to do it for real.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Was my thought too, but is why you don't run it for a long time, and also open a window a bit. Just did a search, came across this:

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/...ng-results.htm

Here's one made of a small paint can, a better idea as you can store other items in there as you need, plus you can smother the flame when required.