Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercrafting

Watercrafting

A while ago, Edwin started a thread about having a section for those who enjoy messing about in boats. Though he posted a picture of his rather nice coracle, which rather derailed the purpose of the thread even if it did yield some interesting info and conversation.

There are clearly a good number of folks here who paddle canoes, kayaks and coracles and probably dinghies and other water based craft too.

As our coastline and lake and river banks provide good foraging areas and were the transport routes and food sources for our ancestors it seems a logical activity for those with our interests. I think it would be nice to gather together all boaty type threads under a 'Watercrafting' section within the kit area of the forum.

I know I'm relatively new to the forum, but hope you don't mind me renewing Edwin's suggestion.

Al

Seconded. I quite like messing about in boats too, i have a canoe trip across Scotland planned sometime in the very near future
    [

If canoeing is your thing, you'll enjoy being part of Song of the Paddle. There's a fairly big overlap with Bushcraft; as you can imagine with the desire to camp wild and free in places inaccessible by land.

For example; just posted now on SOTP: British Army 9 x 7 ridge tent for sale
    Last edited by Bernie; 04-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Hmm, I've had a user account at SOTP for quite a few years now, but hardly post there due to the influx of kayak paddlers with their 'you can't stop me doing what I want, where I want' attitude. I remember when it was by canoeists for canoeist and became disillusioned with it when people started moaning about all the tales of camping/cooking and general canoeing amid all the anti-angling vitriol. Perhaps things have changed again now, I don't look there often now. I'd rather spend my time here.

The point for me is that each of the watercraft types I mentioned in my first post have a large variety of uses and styles etc, but what I'd like to see is a place for folks here to show and discuss how they use their favourite craft with regard to bushcraft activities. Clearly if someone starts posting about how fast they've managed to get their 49er going across Poole Harbour or images of their whitewater slalom successes then things are going astray, but seeing how someone has made a boom tent for their Mirror dinghy and spent a weekend on the Broads exploring and fishing, or paddled to the source of the Thames in a coracle or paddled along the coast of Cornwall in a sea kayak and how they prepared to do these things then that's what I'd hope to see and discuss in such an area of the forum.

I hope I don't come across as too angry about SOTP, but it was the only place for canoes when everything else supposedly canoe related catered purely for kayak paddlers and that seems to have been taken over too.

I paddle, sail, camp and fish, basically I enjoy being outdoors and close to nature. Many of the boating forums seem to be about trying to overcome nature rather than working with it. While I don't think of myself as a bushcrafter, the activities that describes suit me better and are what I enjoy doing.

Al

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al21 View Post
    Hmm, I've had a user account at SOTP for quite a few years now, but hardly post there due to the influx of kayak paddlers with their 'you can't stop me doing what I want, where I want' attitude. I remember when it was by canoeists for canoeist and became disillusioned with it when people started moaning about all the tales of camping/cooking and general canoeing amid all the anti-angling vitriol. Perhaps things have changed again now, I don't look there often now. I'd rather spend my time here.

The point for me is that each of the watercraft types I mentioned in my first post have a large variety of uses and styles etc, but what I'd like to see is a place for folks here to show and discuss how they use their favourite craft with regard to bushcraft activities. Clearly if someone starts posting about how fast they've managed to get their 49er going across Poole Harbour or images of their whitewater slalom successes then things are going astray, but seeing how someone has made a boom tent for their Mirror dinghy and spent a weekend on the Broads exploring and fishing, or paddled to the source of the Thames in a coracle or paddled along the coast of Cornwall in a sea kayak and how they prepared to do these things then that's what I'd hope to see and discuss in such an area of the forum.

I hope I don't come across as too angry about SOTP, but it was the only place for canoes when everything else supposedly canoe related catered purely for kayak paddlers and that seems to have been taken over too.

I paddle, sail, camp and fish, basically I enjoy being outdoors and close to nature. Many of the boating forums seem to be about trying to overcome nature rather than working with it. While I don't think of myself as a bushcrafter, the activities that describes suit me better and are what I enjoy doing.

Al
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Why not start a thread up with your experiences. If it gathers pace, I'm sure that Ashley will put a separate Watercrafting section. Let's face it, we've had our first coracle built live on the forum so why not??

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Al, your comments about SOTP are not harsh at all, you have expressed how you feel about it, openly, fairly and without abuse. So alls good as for the watercrafting section, I think it's a brilliant idea and I'm glad you've resurrected Edwin's original idea. If it goes ahead I suspect it will gather pace quite rapidly, and a wealth of knowledge and stories would be made available.

Cheers

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Whilst I'm a fan of SOTP, I hear your comments about the threads that are not canoe-specific, or not "bushcrafty" enough. I'd also welcome a section here. I guess it's just what feels more like "home" to us; for example, I've stopped visiting BCUK altogether now in favour of this forum.

You'll get a few postings from me in that section for certain. It seems the only place I can still do what I want is out on the open water or a secluded beach. (no fires, no storm/kelly kettles either, no knives, etc.)

Banned
    Nice timely revival of the topic and something I will be doing this year with first trip in spring around the River Fal when the weather permits probably using a kayak and my "overnight kit with sleeping bag and some fishing stuff along with compass, map, chart and tide table. This sort of excursion requires a range of skills which adds to the pleasure and the interest.

I like the idea of a watercrafting section.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Firstly thanks for all those offering support for the idea of a Watercrafting section for the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Why not start a thread up with your experiences. If it gathers pace, I'm sure that Ashley will put a separate Watercrafting section. Let's face it, we've had our first coracle built live on the forum so why not??

Martin
    Martin, rather than re-hashing old tales of my canoeing trips, perhaps folks would like to take a peek at my own rather dodgy and outdated web pages here: http://al.sdf-eu.org/rdc/home.html I started this before I heard about forums in the hope that people might like to join me in uploading stories about their outdoor experiences and called it the Rubber Duck Club as regardless of what you'd been doing, it's always nice to return home to a good soak in the bath! It's not a complete record of all my trips, there's nothing about the Severn, Wye or Spey. You'll get the idea though. Over the last couple of years I've started adding bits about family picnics on the local canal and river. More will come though and I shall post write-ups here too.

To start the ball rolling for a Watercrafting section I'll dig out some pics of 'Jus Chillin' and start a 'Show us your canoe' thread. Maybe others might like to start 'Show us your kayak/Coracle/Dinghy/Raft' threads to help things along.

Al