Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vac Packing food for trips and expos?

Vac Packing food for trips and expos?

Hiya guys I was just wondering is ever utilized this form of preserving food for camping etc?? does it work?? I wouldve thought it would be like ration packs?? any ideas or guidance greatly appreciated If nobodys tried this i will be next week

Hi There Feltching had a thread going last year with Vac packing it is good but I gave up He also done one about drying food in a machine he had Sorry I cant be much help but it is on here somewhere
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Try a search in the search box. As Ben says, Steve Fletcher aka Fletching had a long thread on here last year on this topic.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I had a look through my list of threads but couldnt find it so as Martin says that would be easier
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Trapper
    Try the backpacking light website. Not only do they do the wonderful honey stove but they sell a food dehydrator thingumybob. I have no idea how it works but it looks like the best invention ever. I'm seriously thinking about getting one to make little treats for myself when I end up in the middle of nowhere.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

After this ive decided that im either hopeless at it or its not very good, many recipes i have tried and most either turn to a tasteless gloop or just dont taste very nice, although I did make a nice chilli con carne Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    ...a food dehydrator thingumybob. I have no idea how it works but it looks like the best invention ever. I'm seriously thinking about getting one to make little treats for myself when I end up in the middle of nowhere.
    Dehydrating thread Linky McPlinky

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Vacuum sealing your food on trips is really great though requires quite an effort to pull it off. You probably have to make sure that you get each meal sealed properly or you might as well just use any regular packing material.

That makes for a great and fresh meal after having been stores for a long time already, and you should be able to reuse the container for future situations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stracy View Post
    Vacuum sealing your food on trips is really great though requires quite an effort to pull it off. You probably have to make sure that you get each meal sealed properly or you might as well just use any regular packing material...
    My tips to stop contents spoiling the seal:

Anything with sharp edges such as jerky etc. should be rounded with a knife to avoid puncturing the pouch.
    Fine powders such as dried mash or milk etc., put a strip of kitchen paper at the sealing end of the vacum pouch or wrap the contents in clingfilm first to avoid contents getting into the seal.
    For 'wet' mixes such as stews etc, freeze first in (e.g.) a plastic take away box (has round corners and should be a meal-sized portion too.). Just remember to wipe the inner sides of the vacuum pouch at the sealing end after inserting your contents so the sides are dry.

Steve
    Last edited by Fletching; 19-01-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Jesus told me to do it. Or was it the other voices?...
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!