Thread: Whoopie Slings

Whoopie Slings

As a bit of a follow on from the 'How Do You Hang' thread and Adrians lateast post about DD Hammock conversions, I thought I would put a link up here on how to construct your own whoopie slings. I had a go this evening with some amsteel I had left over after putting together my SLS suspension system and struggled with a few aspects of it. So after a bit of searching I found this vid and the guy has a few tips that make things easier. No fancy tools, just stuff that you probably have around anyway and you end up with a really neat job.

Some of the dialog is a bit anoying with someone in the background butting in but its worth putting up with.

This is part one and links to part two at the end.

Enjoy

That's an interesting alternative to splicing, and I can see how and why you'd prefer that method to trying to splice those braided chords. Thank you - I've just learnt something.

Thanks Bernie.

Its something that I had never tried before and, being one that never reads instructions until after it goes wrong, I thought I would wing it and see how it went. This vid definately makes it look easier but I would be interested on other ways. One question I do have is - just how much do you need to have threaded back on itself? I keep hearing '12 inches/300mm' mentioned but on my practice section I gave up after 6inches/150mm and this just does not want to budge when any load is applied.

Well I finally got round to making a couple of Whoopie slings. Easy to do and they seem to work a treat.

This is the closed loop and the sling end. All finished nice and tight with the end of the sling doubled back on itself so that it doesn't disappear up the tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0945.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	3710

And the running loop all finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0948.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	3712

Now to take off the SLS from the hammock and rig these up