Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    That's cause it be bleak ooop north
    Its a 100 Horse village here mate they all ride around on them with carts and park them in the field behind me at night when I'm asleep so I wake up to strange noises and think I'm having nightmares Mind you I could use one or two for a bit of horse meat later in the year
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Hence the want of some arrows and a bow, eh?

Ben's just getting ready for the Saxon invasion
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Sounds like he's on some good drugs!

Banned
    Incidentally Mike did I see your friend stringwalking when he was drawing the Kingfisher? Is that preferred over there to the Mediterranean three finger draw with one above and two below the arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Ben's just getting ready for the Saxon invasion
    I think I'm part viking so I have to be ready lol

@Mike they are good ones mate but a bit heaviy at times

Anyway back to the thread now before our Martin pops by

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Incidentally Mike did I see your friend stringwalking when he was drawing the Kingfisher? Is that preferred over there to the Mediterranean three finger draw with one above and two below the arrow?
    I suggested it to him because it's a short bow (60") and all my life I shot one over/two under, but due to the nock getting cramped with my index finger over (often I'd barely be pulling with that finger), I decided to just start shooting it with three fingers under, easier overall.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    DOH!!!! I guess I should have checked the link, eh? I saw "Longbow for 71........" and my brain didn't register it was the price, not the draw weight!!! Anyways, even 40lb draw will not work perfectly with 55/60 arrows. Better, less whipping, but still, am just trying to get him to match the bow he chooses with the arrows he made, kinda like matching the bullet type with the gun you want to shoot it through.
    Easily done fella.

I agree that Ben's 55/60 arrows wont match a 40lb bow. Particularly when adding in arrows have the spine rating for modern bows with a cut out arrow shelf. I was told that an arrow for a long bow should have a spine rating of 10lb less than one for a riser with an arrow shelf.

Edwin has a point though and we might be getting to caught up on the whole spine thing. Most important thing is for Ben to get in a field with a wang a few arrows a good distance and enjoy their flight. Getting the spine right for accurate target shooting can come later and be a good excuse for making another set!

One last thing, shortly after I started shooting at a local club with my recurve and having expressed an interest in longbows an older gentleman was trying to get me to buy a 65lb longbow he found too much for him as the years increased. At the time, my bow had 35lb limbs, but his 65lb felt quite comfortable and the 50lb he shot regularly I found easy. So I think the length of a longbow and the action they have makes drawing heavier weights easier than a shorter recurve bow. I know that's more from an impression I had rather than any scientific fact, but there you have it anyway.

Al

My big reasoning was his not having arrows too heavy or too light for the bow he gets, kinda makes for a disappointing experience...... kinda like flinging my carbon arrows through my slingshot. Lol

I'm just thankfull for all the advice as if I went and done it myself I would probably try using a spear in a bow LOL