Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoopie Slings modification to a DD Frontline Hammock video.

Whoopie Slings modification to a DD Frontline Hammock video.

Hi again folks

I recently bought a set of whoopie slings from DD Hammocks, so I thought that I would spend a day in the woods today making a video of how it all goes together.

Hope you like it.

Ade

Hi Ade
    I've been using basically the same set up all this last year. DD Travel hammock, Uk hammocks whoopies, and tree straps attached using a marlin spike hitch.

However the main difference is that I don't bother with the caribiner set up you use... I just feed the closed loop end of the whoopie through the sewn channel of the hammock, looping it through itself. It makes the hammock lighter and less bulky.

I've used this set up in the torrential rain we endured last summer in France, and none ran down the whoopies to the hammock. The whoopies being dyneema don't soak up any water, so don't wick it. The drops simply run either off the excess left hanging by the marlin spike hitch on the tree straps, or runs down the excess left hanging by the whoopie adjustment loop. This gives two places where water can find an easier route than to the hammock.

I had a couple of caribiners ready to use as toggles for the MSH incase my set up did cause wetness at the hammock, but as I said after whole nights and mega rain, I never needed to change my set up.

cheers
    Gareth

Thanks for that Gareth.

I have already though about removing the caribiners from the set up, but i want to give it atleast one overnighter in the pouring rain (which isn't difficult here in the North West of England), before committing myself to it.

If and when i do remove the caribiners, I will certainly be passing the free loop of the whoopie sling through the stitch channel of the hammock and then back through the fixed loop to secure it to the hammock.

Thanks again for the comment.

Ade

Hi Ade Cheers for the vid I got some before Xmas but havent had a chance to use them yet But I will be going for two carbs at each end

Ben
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I use a similar setup but keep the carabiners so I'm able to hang bits from them. I find that the crabs come in handy for all sorts and if you leave them out you can't utilize them when needed.

Trapper
    Nice one. Nice to see the marlin hitch demo. Has anyone asked buffalo if they would be prepared to make a cocoon as I'm sure it would outperform any snugpak one and be cheaper.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    Nice one. Nice to see the marlin hitch demo. Has anyone asked buffalo if they would be prepared to make a cocoon as I'm sure it would outperform any snugpak one and be cheaper.
    Great idea Dan.
    My buffalo top is something I would NEVER be without. I know that Buffalo have their "sleep system" as they call it but like you said, it would be interesting to see what they could do about a cocoon or an underblanket.

Ade.

great vid il have to get some of those thanks mate

Trapper
    I have the buffalo outer bag. I sold the inner last year as I'm not tough enough to be out at -15 anymore. The outer is still great on it's own though. You can climb in to it soaking wet and in less than an hour you'll be dry and toasty. It's not light and it's bulky but if you are the sort who doesn't mind carrying a loaded bergen it's worth the weight. You don't need a bivvy bag with it and it doesn't matter if it gets wet, it'll still be your best friend for the night. I used to take my mountain shirt off and put it between my legs to make sure my skin got some air circulating round it. The only problem I found with it was getting out. I might try it in a hammock as the pile doesn't really compress much so you might not even need to use a cocoon underneath you. I often used to lay in it without bothering to unroll my sleep mat as the cold from the ground never seemed to get through.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

I've had a good day today, in fact it's been a great day.

I've been promoted at work, got a slight pay rise (which in today's economy is great!), got a pass out from my wife so I can go to the woods for the weekend, but by far the best thing today by a long shot, is the email I have received from DD Hammocks asking me if they can put the video I did of the whoopie slings modification on their website!!

Oh bugger, just thought, it's Friday 13th tomorrow!! Oh well, it was good while it lasted!!

Ade.