Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The state of the economy..

Quote Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
    I really can't see the whole world collapsing from a recession.
    No but look what happened following the last big one...an Austrian painter and decorator changed the course of history and cost 30+ million people their lives.

I think thats what luresalive is alluding to

Look at the effect war has on the civillian population. Even as a major power in the 40's our population experienced hardship because of the effects of politics & economics.
    [

The Eurozone is not looking good. There has been financial mismanagement on an absurd scale.
    When I travelled through France earlier this year I thought that the country looked very down. When I visited any hypermarkets, the concessionaire shops looked empty with little trade going on. In the small villages and towns it was rare to see people going about their normal business. Prices were very much higher than in 2010 and yet shops still closed on Sunday and even Monday.
    Property prices are similarly depressed. When I queried one place that I was interested in at €395k I was told to try €300k because all the majority of people on this particular agents books were desperate to sell. I didn't go for it as it was right on a main road; that wasn't mentioned in the literature that I got from the estate agent otherwise it was perfect in every respect.
    Something that you never used to see in France were cars with "for sale" signs printed up on a PC stuck in the windows: You do now.
    I needed a chainsaw while I was there and it's not the sort of thing I usually take away with me. I had to pay some 25% more than I would in the UK and we're not the cheapest place to buy items.
    Friends of mine who moved to Spain and Portugal tell me that things are pretty grim for a lot of ex-pats.
    No, I think that 2012 is going to be interesting for a number of countries such as Eire, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy, France and also the old Eastern Bloc countries. The gravy train has hit the buffers. It just remains to be seen how much of the fall out affects the UK
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    The Eurozone is not looking good. There has been financial mismanagement on an absurd scale.

No, I think that 2012 is going to be interesting for a number of countries such as Eire, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy, France and also the old Eastern Bloc countries. The gravy train has hit the buffers. It just remains to be seen how much of the fall out affects the UK
    Agree with all this.
    As Martin stated earlier, our economy is based on what we buy and sell.
    Much of our trade is within the EU, so we will feel some of the shock-waves emanating from there.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Trapper
    I think most people nowadays would struggle if Dominos or Mcdonalds stopped sales. If you can light a fire and you know that a piece of meat needs to be cooked over a heat source then you will be ok. If the economy collapses and the ability to exchange money ends then the pharmaceutical companies will stop producing drugs. the factory farms will shut down. Going back to living like our parents did in the 30's would be something we will manage. I'm a huge fan of knowing where your food comes from and making stuff from raw ingredients so I know there are no additives in it. If my kids want cake then my wife does some baking. If they want a savoury dish I get cooking. I don't bake as I can't stand using scales. I make bread and fresh pasta and we grow our own herbs. We end up with more tomatoes than we can eat and in late summer it takes ages to get the kids home from school as they forage for blackberries all the way back. Now I know that I'm a rank amateur compared to most of you guys as I don't hunt and apart from foraging for fresh water mussels in the Thames I haven't fished for years but with the knowledge you guys show on this forum you will be able to weather the storm for the months that it takes to blow over if the wheel does fall off. Stay in touch with nature, that's the key. I was looking at buying a flat to rent out recently and the estate weasel said that you don't even need kitchens in them any more as no one cooks. Most trendy young execs want a fridge, kettle and a microwave. Apart from that they will eat out all the time or get take away delivered. Make Hugh F-W prime minister and Ray Mears minister for the economy and we should all be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    If the economy collapses and the ability to exchange money ends then the pharmaceutical companies will stop producing drugs.
    You may be right but if so, I would be dead within 2 weeks
    Only my dog can judge me

Like you Dan, my wife and I can grow, and cook what we grow. We can use a firearm,and butcher what we shoot. We know how to fish, and cook what we catch. My missus is a nurse, and I'm a medic and we have medical supplies - we should do ok.
    [

Trapper
    Down here where I live I'd be surrounded by execs wandering around aimlessly wondering where the au pair went and why the country club has stopped taking their Amex card and how the wife is going to get hold of that lovely Italian Rocket to go with the wild Alaskan Salmon at Hugo's party or how on earth they are going to pay the livery fees for Jacincta's pony. I guess I'll be eating tomatoes and basil from the garden and teaching the kids how to poach fish from the Loddon.

Up here we are not short of flora and fauna I could borrow ;-). I'm rather partial to grouse and pheasant. Not far to travel to get deer either or mountain hare for that matter. We have some lovely trout becks and fully stocked rivers a short hike away.

Not bad given we were once surrounded by heavy industry - most of the industry has gone though, so has most of the pollution ...along with the jobs
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    Down here where I live I'd be surrounded by execs wandering around aimlessly wondering where the au pair went and why the country club has stopped taking their Amex card and how the wife is going to get hold of that lovely Italian Rocket to go with the wild Alaskan Salmon at Hugo's party or how on earth they are going to pay the livery fees for Jacincta's pony. I guess I'll be eating tomatoes and basil from the garden and teaching the kids how to poach fish from the Loddon.
    Many a true word said in jest
    Only my dog can judge me

Tribesman
    Given this is the season to be jolly !!!
    I am confident we will come through this intact. I'd like to say wiser, sadly that doesn't appear to work, each recession we are promised more safeguards, no more boom and bust. Then the next government comes to power and the cycle repeats itself.
    I understand that outside influences play a part, but when house prices are out of control, personal debt is at a all time high, you just know there will be trouble.
    Don't think many could have foreseen how deep this one would be.
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins