Thread: Permaculture #3 - Localise Your Food Supply

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Arrow Permaculture #3 - Localise Your Food Supply

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Good stuff..

it is ive been doing simular sort of things for a few years myself.In places like devon and cornwall were lucky because we have an abundance of local food and its not that much dearer than the supermarkets,if you know were to source it from and you know were its come from always tastes better esp things like eggs they have a completly different colour yoke a much creamier taste aswell,cant remember last time i bought eggs from tescos or sainsburys lol.who watched that programme about a week or so ago i think it was dispatches,might be wrong thou,but cut along story short it was about how they are going to produce milk in this country in the future massive battery cow farms all locked in a warehouse never let out to graze etc.they have these places in america all ready all to get milk as cheap as possible scary when you anaylize the way things are progressing
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

I agree wholeheartedly, but try living somewhere like London and getting 'local' produce without spending a fortune. Methinks some kind of group buy and arrangements with farmers out in the country might be the way...something to think about at least...

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, but try living somewhere like London and getting 'local' produce without spending a fortune. Methinks some kind of group buy and arrangements with farmers out in the country might be the way...something to think about at least...

Steve
    Err, Tesco have already thought about that.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

When we moved to our house in 2009, I saw a sign a little way down the road for a farm shop. I thought, great, I'll try and get most of our shopping from there. So I went for a walk a few weeks later to find this farm shop. I walked quite a long way, passed a farm and a group of outbuildings and sheds, came to a bit of a dead end so started walking back. Then I realised that the run down wooden shed by the side of the track road WAS the farm shop. They don't have any meat, but plenty of seasonal veg and eggs for much cheaper than the supermarkets. There's just a little saucer to leave your money, I love the country! We're very lucky to have this resource, but I am ashamed to say that I don't use it nearly as often as I should. Because I can get everything I need from Tesco in one go, I'm afraid that more often than not, that's the option I choose. A bit late for New Years resolutions, I know, but I will try and use our 'farm shop' as often as I can this year. Starting with a nice walk now...

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cawley View Post
    They don't have any meat, but plenty of seasonal veg and eggs for much cheaper than the supermarkets. There's just a little saucer to leave your money, I love the country!
    ahh yes...one of those high tech automated checkouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post

Steve
    its called a cooperative mate! get maybe 5-10 members signed up and buy in bulk from rural farms and producers,i buy most stuff like veg and meat in bulk and save 60% on the cost had i gone to a supermarket,butchery isnt dificult and as long as a beast is in cookable joints its fine.i baught a sack of 40 big swedes for £6.00 the same size in morrisons was 99p! same with spuds parsnips etc.
    do some googling and emails to find the suppliers get a pricelist worked out ie how much the actual cost would be for items and show it about,tell your coop members that the milage would be 20p a mile to get the stuff and that everyone has to split that cost ,it will work out cheaper in the long run.also worthy of note is that if you buy the equivilent of a whole pig in shop sized pieces it would cost £200 or there abouts a whole pig cut in half from a producer will cost £90,if you have to pay the abbatoir to butcher it will cost an extra £30,still a huge saving. better still buy 2 piglets and do a wartime style pig club,everyone feeds it and splits the cost,fat em up and £400 worth of pork will cost you about £100 incl slaughter fee of £20.00.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    its called a cooperative mate! get maybe 5-10 members signed up and buy in bulk from rural farms and producers,i buy most stuff like veg and meat in bulk and save 60% on the cost had i gone to a supermarket,butchery isnt dificult and as long as a beast is in cookable joints its fine.i baught a sack of 40 big swedes for £6.00 the same size in morrisons was 99p! same with spuds parsnips etc.
    do some googling and emails to find the suppliers get a pricelist worked out ie how much the actual cost would be for items and show it about,tell your coop members that the milage would be 20p a mile to get the stuff and that everyone has to split that cost ,it will work out cheaper in the long run.also worthy of note is that if you buy the equivilent of a whole pig in shop sized pieces it would cost £200 or there abouts a whole pig cut in half from a producer will cost £90,if you have to pay the abbatoir to butcher it will cost an extra £30,still a huge saving. better still buy 2 piglets and do a wartime style pig club,everyone feeds it and splits the cost,fat em up and £400 worth of pork will cost you about £100 incl slaughter fee of £20.00.
    The two pigs (Berkshires) we raised last year, cost us £320 all in. That includes buying them, feeding them, ear tags, slaughter and butchery fees.. Certainly going to be getting more piggies again this year..

my mum runs prmaculture courses and designs edible gardens. the reason i took up shooting was to protect crops which led to me taking up bushcraft!
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"