Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow's

Crossbow's

Why are you not allowed to hunt with them? :S

This really interests me, please reply guys.

Thanks.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    A lot of yobs were recklessly killing swans and domestic pets in the 80's with them, was easier to ban them than legislate, typical governmental knee jerk reaction....

My dad had a crossbow had to get rid of it though, used to go through 2x4's.

So much fun.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Crossbows come under the same banner as Bows in that in the wildlife and countryside act 1981 sections 5 and 11 make it illegal for the taking of animals or wild birds.
    It was originally banned in the 1960's due to poachers hunting deer in some urban areas, and people shooting and killing local dogs and cats, pretty much anyone could buy one, and they are a silent but deadly weapon.
    I think the 1981 act was enabled due to the high numbers of animals suffering due to poor shots, At least with shot guns and rifles there is some regulation in who can shoot and when.

Technically any hunting or trapping method that causes suffering to an animal or wild bird is illegal under the 1981 act - this includes the use of snares (in particular self locking ones).

Annoys the hell out of me... ... Were not allowed to do much of anything in the u.k./Europe
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

it is still one of the most unregulate weapons we can still freely buy,i have a nice wildcat,often fired in anger....
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Arrow Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post

Technically any hunting or trapping method that causes suffering to an animal or wild bird is illegal under the 1981 act - this includes the use of snares (in particular self locking ones).

Annoys the hell out of me...
    RE Snares; the way I was taught about snares.. (please correct me if I'm wrong).. when snaring (with the landowners permission) your allowed to use a snare that is loose and dosen't have a spring-loaded mechanism or trigger which will pull the noose tight around the animal, yet you are allowed to use a free hanging noose with no sprung mechanism creating tension.

Also RE hunting with crossbows & bows, I was told that these weapons were classed (by our UK law) as too inaccurate of a weapon to hunt with.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

They are fully legal in Canada, much to the point a murder occured a few weeks ago in Toronto (where only criminals are allowed to own guns), a guy shot his highly abusive father in a public library with a crossbow............ as you can see, in typical polite Canadian tradition, he respected the noise rules of the library.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    They are fully legal in Canada, much to the point a murder occured a few weeks ago in Toronto (where only criminals are allowed to own guns), a guy shot his highly abusive father in a public library with a crossbow............ as you can see, in typical polite Canadian tradition, he respected the noise rules of the library.
    It's nice that people are still considerate these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Why are only criminals allowed guns?
    That's weird :/

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    AS yet snares are NOT illegal, as long as they do not lock around the quarry's throat but mearly hold it in position..also they must be checked at least once every 24hrs.